how slow can PT go?- RIP serraphim

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitch

its serraphim again. always confusing mommy and the professionals... after that last bout of only god knows what i have not been able to get a good weight back to her. she hasn't lost anymore but she is still just a rake of a thing, very frail looking. she eats well and drinks well and her eyes are bright, but i can't say that she is always really there. she's never been exactly what i would call normal mentally for a rat. always happy and she has never understood when someone was upset with her. a mind something like a young child is the best i can really describe it. and she has always been a little wobbly since i've had her.

but now, there's something wrong. she is even more wobbly then ever before. she has these strange spurts of activity where she will run and stumble and run some more for no reason. its hard to get her to stop and its not out of play. she doesn't seem scared, but not all there either. her breathing is not like it should be but has not responded to antibiotics. but even with her bad breathing its not THAT bad. after her runs she doesn't stop and pant like the panic runs i've seen in severe resp rats. in fact she doesn't seem at all bothered by the runs once she stops.

she's been even more an attention hog since her last bout of whatever it was. i'm not sure that is a symptom of anything or her just getting older. but she has been getting lots of cuddles and lovings. now though, there's times like she doesn't recognize us. she's always been very friendly with everyone, but with the people she knew, her mom, dad, auntie and big brother, she was always extra affectionate. giving kisses and pushing herself against our hands. now, there are times when you go to pick her up and she'll back up, or when you have her in your hands she'll just sit there and stare at you, like she has no clue who you are. trusting, always trusting, but there is just something not there when she's sitting there staring you.

then there is the coordination. she was never going to be a ballerina or anything requiring finesse but she was always at least able to locate the food in your fingers and leave your fingers alone. now though... i've given her treats and if she has to take it from between my fingers, my fingers will get at least one bite more often 2 or 3 though, before she can finally get her head to cooperate and grab the food. the bites aren't hard, enough to know that she is trying to grab something but not enough to really hurt. but she has never had issue with that before. during her runs now too, she will stumble around. we've got catch fall hammocks all over and its a good thing we do otherwise she would be having more then a few falls.

i don't know, its just so very hard to describe. i know SOMETHING is wrong, but i can't pin point it. i was thinking PT because that will affect balance and personality and i'm sure it would affect memory and all that as well where its a tumor applying pressure on the brain and depending on where that is, a lot of things can be affected.

so what do you think? could it be PT, something else, serraphim being her phimminess? she's been on amoxil and gentomycin but there has been absolutely no change on her breathing, her memory, her coordination or anything. and for her weight i've been giving higher end doses, i should be seeing some sort of improvement if it was an infection of some sort...

Sounds like PT to me. And thats it exactly...something's not quite right :(

Get her on steroids along with her abs and pray for an improvement.

Look at Calla, rebound #2 and she just keeps going and going :) If its not pressure on the brain, the steroid won't show much effect.

how slow can it progress? it feels like weeks since i first noticed something being off, though its only been the last few days that i could actually pinpoint any actual differences. and does slow growing PTs stay slow growing normally? or should i be expecting a plummet soon?

twitch said:
how slow can it progress? it feels like weeks since i first noticed something being off, though its only been the last few days that i could actually pinpoint any actual differences. and does slow growing PTs stay slow growing normally? or should i be expecting a plummet soon?

Expect a plummet...thats why its best to put her on the steroids ASAP.

i am going to try to get her in to see her vet today, i'm pretty sure that i should be able to. i just don't know what we will do. she is not the healthiest of rats to begin with, then if this is PT on top of that... i don't know if the right thing to do is to continue fighting or not. she's always so trusting and always happy, that's serraphim for you. i don't think she knows how to be any other way. so i'm pretty sure that even in the worst of circumstances she would still be a grinning fool and happy with all her life. perhaps more confused as to why she wasn't getting proper lovings, but i'm sure she would still be happy... she's kinda "special" that way. so i don't think i can judge by her happiness levels if she would want me to continue fighting for her or not. i don't think she even understands that she can stop... even when i know she's not recognizing me, she's happy to be held...

i will take her to the vets and discuss the options, see if i can get her onto some steroid. really the only thing i can do for her is fight i guess. when it gets to the point that she can no longer function properly i will help my happy girl over. and i'm sure she will still be a happy girl, my serraphim in a nutshell. from what i understand of PTs its harder on the rat parent then it is on them though, as horrible as the affliction is, there is no pain... at least there is that.

My Loki became like that at about 40 months old. But I wouldn't say it was PT, almost like dementia. It was weird. She died a month or so after.
The recognizing you and loss of interest in food could also indicate loss of sense of smell.

no, she was still very interested in food. never had any issue with that, always my little piggy, just couldn't always get her head to obey her and get the food instead of the fingers. but there were certainly times when she just did not recognize me. the confused little runs was certainly odd.

but in any case its over now. i took her to the vet to get some prednisone. and i got it. i stayed to visit and to let the carrier warm up before taking serraphim back out, and serra had another spell of confusion. she didn't recognize me and then started to do her little running hops. it lasted longer this time and i was trying to get the pred set up and into her. she started to panic, she didn't recognize me and i couldn't offer that comfort to her. she got scared, her breathing got bad and then it just stopped. everything stopped. and she was gone. the one comfort i can take is that if this was PT or some other form of dementia, she didn't have to suffer through it for too long. she had a few spurts of confusion, had a few times of not being able to recognize us but she never had to suffer through the clubbing, she was uncoordinated, but could still, though with a bit more effort then normal, get to where she wanted to be. she still enjoyed her food and once being able to grab it, never had difficulty in eating it. at least there is that.

so i'm down to 14 now, and heading the right way i suppose, but i really wish i wasn't. the problem with going down in numbers of course, is that you have to say goodbye, that's not something i ever like doing. but sweet serraphim, now she is free of her faulty body and her mind can be whole and clear like it never was here. she never missed out on what she never understood, she could never fathom hate or distrust. so perhaps it was better that her mind was not quite so clear. even through all that she went through, she never understood any of the negative about it. always happy, always loving, perhaps that was better. farewell my most innocent of angels, my sweet serraphim.

thank you. i'm not ready to go through her pictures yet but i have at least written a little memorial for her and the others on the rat train adopted list. http://www.jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=124821#p124821 its not enough for any of them, but for now, until i can bring myself to post proper tributes in the bridge section, it will have to do. there's no time limit on when that is needed to be done by right?

Back