How old before hammock?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bati

My babies got eyes - but how old should they be before I give mum a hammock? My baby-cage is very low, so it's not far to fall, around 20 cm / less than 1'

I would personally wait til just before 3 weeks where the babies are more agile and less likely to get hurt. That few days after they open their eyes are nervewracking for the human mom's...watchign them wobble and fall off shelves. I moved all hard objects (food bowl, etc) and tucked them under the shelves so no one could get hurt, but by 3 weeks my babies became avid hammock-ers.

jorats said:
I agree, waiting for the babies to be 3 weeks before giving mom a break. Poor girl, she's probably looking for it.
No doubt. Starla is always at the top of the cage bars doing acrobatics trying to get my attention so I will let her out. If she isn't doing that, she is at the corner facing me, clining to the bar with all fours, belling facing out. She looks so deperately pathetic... but it's cute, lol!

Back