How much do you pay for your Zithro?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Oh btw I asked how long Zithro was viable for. The truth is after 14 days it slowly loses its potency. :roll:

Back on Topic. Please don't hate me!! My pharmacist offered me the generic version (not Pfizer brand name) and it was $29.99...

*Shelagh runs and hides from the angry hordes...* :shock: :tiptoe:

Apparently we don't carry the drug so I can't give a price comparison, but yes, there's a generic name for every drug :)

they told me it was $39.99 for the Pfizer Zithro which confused me since I paid $48.90 for it last year at the same place. :shock:

But here's the Pharmascience box...there's a monkey under the label and cherries. The rats are drinking it like its a treat. :)

genericZithrobox.jpg

Well jeezus... I much rather the cheap monkey than the expensive tucan...or whatever that bird is for the other one.
I'm going to ask for it next time. I'll have to tell my vet that I want to pick it up at a pharmacy and not buy it directly from her.

Holy s**t! $42?? :shock: $60??! :shock: And I thought it was expensive here! I've been getting the generic Azithromycin (monkey box), and I think it cost me about $25. Even if that was the smaller size (600 instead of 900 mg), we are getting a very good deal out here in New Brunswick.

Only some of my ratties liked it, but it sure did a great job with the little girls' myco.

Took me a minute, but are you guys all talking CDN$? 'Cause if you are, you stink! I'm happy now because I only pay US$50 a month rather than every two weeks after moving. :p

This may sound silly, but I can't remember, and my vet hasn't mentioned it yet- what is zithro used for? Resp infections probably? How do you get it from a pharmicist, doesn't it need a perscription? Or do you have a standing pR with your vet?

You can get a prescription from your vet since its a human pediatric drug, or you can get it from your vet at an inflated cost if they actually carry it.

Zithro is a good drug for rats that have never been treated and is safe for young rats. If you have a recurring or persistent URI, pnuemonia, etc then adding it to baytril gives it a big punch. Its my big gun for these types of issues. :lol:

Ooooh. Thanks! :D
I should inquire about zithro on my next vet appt. I have two rats with perpetual on/off snuffles and sickies. :sick:

ratamataz said:
Ooooh. Thanks! :D
I should inquire about zithro on my next vet appt. I have two rats with perpetual on/off snuffles and sickies. :sick:

You would need it with baytril. What treatments have you tried and for how long?

I've tried just doxy, and then doxy with baytril. It started back in April. They had two weeks on doxy, then two weeks later back to the vet and another four weeks on baytril with doxy. It seemed to work okay.
They were a little sickly in June, but we had just moved so I was hoping it was just the stress of moving. But by the end of June they were definitely getting sick again, so I started them again on Baytril with Doxy, this time for a couple weeks longer. They are definitely doing better now, but something tells me they will be sick again soon. There is still the odd day I see eye porphyrin. I will be making them a vet appt. very soon.

So is zithro stronger than doxy? My vet and I have always stuck with the doxy baytril combo when we needed the extra punch, has been working fine but I may need to inquire about zithro and check prices with the local pharmacies.

Zithro's good for 14 days?!? My pharmacist said 10 but I had seen 11 days elsewhere so I've been refilling the prescription every 12 days...

My pharmacy charges $37 for the name brand, $21 for the generic. In Ontario you can also save money by going to pharmacies with lower dispensing fees.

victoria said:
Zithro's good for 14 days?!? My pharmacist said 10 but I had seen 11 days elsewhere so I've been refilling the prescription every 12 days...

My pharmacy charges $37 for the name brand, $21 for the generic. In Ontario you can also save money by going to pharmacies with lower dispensing fees.

The standard they tell you is 11 days...but my pharmacist said its really okay until 14 then its efficacy drops right off. This gives you almost a full month of zithro not just 22 days (3 weeks)

Back