how much baytril should storm get?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Lilspaz is normally very good with dosing meds. you need to work it on the concentration of the meds, to the weight of the rat, so that they arent getting too much or too little.

I think your numbers must be off... Is Storm a little baby? I converted lbs to grams and .06lbs is 27 grams. Do you mean 0.6lbs? That would make 272 grams which would be an adult size female or a teen boy.
1/2 a ml is 0.5 ml which is half a syringe, that's way too much but all depending on the meds... What does it say for the concentration of baytril, it should say on the bottle.

So according to my calculations, storm should get 0.16 ml for a lower dose, a higher dose would be 0.3 ml, you could give 0.2 ml.
Is she very sick?

I dont think i've ever had to give more than 0.4mls - and that was for an adult male who weighed around 550g. 0.5mls is quite a lot for a little rat

1/2 a ml is just too much for that small a rat. She should be getting just a little over .3 ml's.

Next time you get baytril, can you ask your vet to make it up a lot more concentrated? Mine is normally 50 mg/ml or you can ask for 22.7 mg/ml (standard pills they get).

no he never did :( but the next time i go there i will be making him do it.

perfect Jo thanks so much.

those meds were monkeys and girly too on top of it all (we bought two bottles in case and only used one for girly and monkey and have one bottle left). those guys are even smaller storm :doh:

lilspaz68 said:
lilangel said:
not old we bought it 2 weeks ago or so there the exp on the bottle. and yup liquid.

Baytril is only good for 2-3 weeks, so if its not working it means it has lost its potency.

depending on the form.
But Lilspaz68 is right it is only good for 2 weeks.

(We give the injectible baytril, orally. It stays good until the expiry date.)

Our Baytril is compounded into yummy flavors. It's the flavoring that often dictates how long the med is "good" for. Our Baytril is good for 2 months!

There are also varying opinions on the appropriate dose for Baytril. We never start higher than 5mg/kg, so we always have room to move it up, if it's not working (we've rarely ever gone past 10mg/kg and that was in a very sick rattie).

So based on your girl's weight, and the baytril at 10mg/ml....I would calculate her dose at .16ml

Debbie said:
There are also varying opinions on the appropriate dose for Baytril. We never start higher than 5mg/kg, so we always have room to move it up, if it's not working (we've rarely ever gone past 10mg/kg and that was in a very sick rattie).

So based on your girl's weight, and the baytril at 10mg/ml....I would calculate her dose at .16ml

I dose depending on the severity of the rat's illness myself. If the rat is very sick, then I start off at 10 mg/kg, plus I give a "loading dose", which is 1.5 times what is normal to start off.
If its a mild URI you can start at 5 mg/kg, but as I said depends on the illness. Some vet clinics use 15 mg/kg as a matter of course now. :)

ryelle said:
When you say you "bought it", did you get it from the vets or from somewhere else? did the vet prescribe it?

yeah vets, i got it from are family pet vet.

mine also is in flavor tooty fruity :? but they seem to not like the taste anyways lol we have to mask it. the exp date on it is april 24.

and right now for storm i think its mild her nose is just blocked with that red stuff (forget the name of it) but if not blocked she would not wheeze or anything. we clean her nose every couple hours and she gets steam room time also.

Back