How many rats... (updated)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size of FN is best for 4 rats?

• Model 141

• Model 142

Results are only viewable after voting.

Riana

Would you people say would fit in a model 141 ferret nation? On the cage calculator it said nine... somehow I doubt that, since the dimensions really aren't that far off from my cage currently. For four rats, would you think the 141 or the 142 would be better? I'm still debating over the FN or the rat skyscraper... the price for the one level FN is about the same as the rat skyscraper, including shipping, and the two-level FN is over $200... I saw that a local pet store sells ferret nations, so I can get one there, hopefully without it costing an arm and a leg.

So, what do you guys think?

EDIT: So... I found a cage for the boys... the thing is I'm not sure if I'm allowed to get it :lol: A friend of mine has two boys, but his are typical males who're fat and lazy, so it's much too big for his inactive fellows. He's willing to sell it for $150. The dimensions are 30"x20"x30".... good size cage?

I don't know what brand it is... I think it was supposed to be a ferret cage originally, because it has tubes and the like with the levels. I don't think it'd be a big problem though. So, yeah, I'm excited about looking into this cage! More info when I get some.

I would choose the martins R695 for 4 boys over a one section FN.
edited to add: Plus with the bar spacing, the R695 would be good if you get young rats any time in the future.

The two section FN would be good for 4 boys.

I have a FN and one section was much too small for Leah's four sons. The four boys do find that having both sections of the two section cage is large enough.

When using the cage calculator, don't include the space for the bottom rack. A cage calculator will say 6 for a 141 FN. But in my opinion, I wouldn't put more than three active rats.

I believe in lots of space for rats. For four, I would say the 142 FN.

jorats said:
When using the cage calculator, don't include the space for the bottom rack. A cage calculator will say 6 for a 141 FN. But in my opinion, I wouldn't put more than three active rats.

I believe in lots of space for rats. For four, I would say the 142 FN.

Wait, isn't 5 the max number? :shock:

I think 4 boys would be just fine in a one level FN [141]. So long as you make the space interesting for them, they should be just fine. If they're younger or smaller sized boys, remember you'll probably need to put hardware cloth over the bars until they've packed on a few grams.

The R695 is a good option, too, though you would need to request some modifications to make it a good cage for you and them. Larger doors, flip top lid, etc.. I hear Martin's is doing a 'Jo Style' cage these days.

Boys tend to be more about the oozing laziness than crackhead energy of girls, in my experience. Obviously, every rat is their own individual, but most boys over 6mo seem to like a good romp and then a very good nap.

I always say the more the better when it comes to space! But it does depend on activity level and size. And price, of course.

The Martins' 695 is more versatile than a one-level FN; in future you could have small rats in it. They routinely make the Jorats modificition now. I love the big doors & slide out pan, but I still think it makes sense to have a flip top also.

The 2level FN is great, as long as you don't have small rats, but sounds like the price is a lot more.

All in all? the 695. if you ever wanted to sell it, it would work for a variety of animals. If you ever had a mama and babies, it would be perfect and can be divided.

jorats said:
Bron, I'm very very anal when it comes to cages. And girls take up a lot less room in a 141.

Oh I wasn't meaning to question your judgement at all, I just don't want to overcrowd - Tara's two will make 5 girls in my single FN, just making sure I'm not making a mistake!

I have had 4 and 5 rats blocked off in one half of my FN, so equivalent to the 141. It was way too cramped for my personal liking.

They were so much happier when those 5 rats had the entire 142 to themselves.

It has a lot to do with how the rats get along. Girls are smaller than boys so require less space, they also get along better. But...in an ideal world, I'd go with a 142.

So...should I only adopt one or none at all? I'm confused. :lol:

Sorry, I really am hijacking this thread, but it's the same concept and well, the babies are ready to go on Monday!

I would never adopt just one baby. Babies really need to be in pairs or more.
In a rescue situation, you know they will have a nice cage, a clean cage, lots of room to play, good nutrition, vet care... they couldn't have a better home with you Bron. So I'd say get those two bubs.

:heart:

Thanks Jo, that means a lot.
I've been waking up from angst-ridden dreams wondering if I'm overcrowding my three girls by getting two more, this should help relieve me of those!

javakittie said:
Boys tend to be more about the oozing laziness than crackhead energy of girls, in my experience. Obviously, every rat is their own individual, but most boys over 6mo seem to like a good romp and then a very good nap.

It's funny that you should say that, Kat. Our boys have their own room now and every night after the dogs have been walked and are sacked out, I set aside a couple of hours for Earl, Chai and Tazo's out time. I go in, shut the door, set up their floor time toys and look forward to just relaxing with them for a couple of hours. They come tumbling out of their cage and run around doing their thing while I do some reading, try to catch up on some paperwork, or just generally chase after them rescuing them from one predicament or another. Anyway, the point of my post is that I set aside a couple of hours every day for them (because everything I've read says two hours of out time minimum), but after about an hour or so, I'll look up from whatever I'm doing because things are just a little too quiet and the boys will already have had enough. They'll already be home, cuddled up in their favorite hammock/hidey house of the day and looking at me like, "can you please just leave already? It's time for us to go to bed!" :laugh4:

Back