how does protecting my kid=me being cruel???-update08/24

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitch

warning, rant about family issues to follow but i really need to vent.

my son is 5 now. for 5 years the arrangement has been that he is to go to his father's for the weekend every weekend. we were young when we had him but decided to keep him even though we were not meant to be together anymore. so the weekend thing.

well since the beginning my son's father's mother (who will be referred to as Gee from now on) would call for my son's father (who we will call Fee from now on) telling me that my son would not be able to come this weekend. always last minute. when he was an infant this didn't make much difference to my son. back then it was so bad that there were times when he would only go over once a month.

they have gotten a bit better since then to the point that this year they would only call out once or twice a month. we had a discussion a few months ago that they needed to cal by wednesday if they were to take my son or not and that he wouldn't go over automatically anymore. well that lasted all of 2-3 weeks before Gee was promising my son the following weekend and so my son was looking forward to it. defeating the purpose of calling by wednesday, and so the calls stopped.

last month was good. they took him each weekend. this month they called three times. the first time to say he couldn't come, so i told my son. the second time to change their minds and say that he could come afterall, so i had to tell my son that after telling him that he couldn't. then the third time was the week after saying, once again that he can't come.

it was the final straw. there wasn't even a reason given the last time not that the reasons were ever much of anything to begin with. i have gotten "i've got to clean my house" and "well Fee wants to see his girlfriend this weekend-he's already left in fact and i have to work". fine, you have to work, Fee is gone. BUT WHY??? are you calling me thursday night with this information??? you couldn't have called eariler so i could distract my son with something else??? so we could make plans???

Fee has NEVER supplied child support. fine, he doesn't work and when he does he doesn't keep the job long enough. its not about the money. my son has a right to his family, be they what they may. i WANT them to be together but i can't make them, i can't force my son on them. they have to make that decision.

we've talked about this more then once. Fee kept me waiting for over an hour to meet him for one of our discussions. he promised up and down that he would keep his promises but nothing changed.

i've talked to Gee about it and she promised up and down to keep her promises and said that it was a good plan and was ok with it. nothing changed. nothing got fixed.

so Gee calls today, friday, to ask if my son would be coming over this weekend and how she has dragon boat thing this saturday. i don't know if she was about to cancel or not. but i said no, not anymore. my son is not to go over on the weekends anymore, is not to spend the nights anymore. if she wants to see him i'd be more then happy to work with her so she can come over and visit for a few hours, or take him out for a few hours and of course she is always welcome to just give a call and talk to him anytime. she said she understood. that school was starting and it would be hard on him and all that. of course completely mishearing when i said about how he feels and how hard it is on him when they cancel on him and i have to tell him that they are busy. but she said she understood and maybe she can take him out sunday and maybe she could babysit during my night classes. i would be fine with that, but we'd have to talk more on it and i i didn't want to discuss this with my son right there, he doesn't need to hear it.

so, a little bit later Gee's friend calls. she took a course in child psychology she says. she says i'm tearing my son away from his family and i'm only punishing him and that i'm being cruel and that Gee and Fee LOVE my son and that Fee is trying so hard to provide for my son. he's 22. he can't seem to hold a job for any time, only in fact started to get a job late this past year... she says she got his GED for my son, that he's starting compu college for my son so he can provide for my son. yeeeeeeeeah... then she goes on to say how she's had to help them out financially with my son and at that i have family allowance to rely on. and how they have never harmed him, they've never abused him. says how much Fee loves his son and that i don't see them together and if i did i would understand. and how much my son his all of Gee's world...

ok first WTF!!! why is she calling at all!?!? it is not about her, she is not a part of it! THEN she says she sees it but she can't have. where has she been all the times when my son wasn't allowed to go over because his father was with his girlfriend and his grandmother was cleaning the house???

THEN when i call Fee on all the times he's not been there for his son because his girlfriend was more important she calls me on the one week out of the year during the summer that my son goes over there for summer vacation!! i had talked with Gee for weeks in advance and ASKED if that week was ok and ASKED if they would like him for a week during the summer because they only ever get to see him on the weekends and i know that's not much time. so again, WHAT THE HELL!!

i got emotional. i yelled. i didn't keep my cool and i think my son likely heard it all, the very thing i didn't want to have happen. she called me cruel and i hung up.

i'm not trying to punish anyone. i'm not trying to tear him away from anyone. my son has a right to his family and to my knowledge they have not physically harmed him so i think he's safe enough over there. that's not the issue. i don't care about the money. i never have. its been 5 years and never once did i ask about child support. i could use it. my son could do with an education fund or even just some nice clothes that aren't either gifted during christmas or his birthday and that do not come from used stores like salvation army. i've tried very hard to keep them together. but i can't force them. all i want is some effort on their part. i'm not keeping them apart. i told them they are welcome to come see him anytime (but where they are making plans with me i don't have to get my son's hopes up if they "need" to back out last minute if i don't tell him they are coming). i can protect him from the disappointment and i can give him a solid routine. but somehow, that's not how its coming off. i'm coming off as being petty and vindictive. i'm somehow trying to punish them through my son apparently.

my son is still up. i don't want him to hear the conversation at all but especially if it gets emotional. so i called Gee, i only got the answering machine of course. but left a message that i would be calling back at 8 and that i did not appreciate her friend calling for her.

i can understand why she would want to have her friend do that. i would love it if my mom could call back and talk for me. but this does not involve either of them. sadly it is between me and Gee, though i would love to say it is between me and Fee, but he hasn't called since my son was a infant, not even able to crawl yet. we had that one meeting that he made me wait around for but it is obvious that he doesn't decide anything.

and you know the saddest part of all this, my son already says he doesn't like his daddy, that he doesn't want to see him, he wants to see his nanny. he misses his nanny and every once in a while he'll say he misses his uncle. heck he'll even tell me he misses his dad's girlfriend and his dad's friends over ever saying he misses his daddy.

i don't like being the bad guy. i don't want to be the bad guy. can you imagine how my son feels when i tell him that his dad and his nanny, two very important people in his, or at least supposed to be, are too busy for him? last time he cried for a solid 10 minutes. SOLID. tears, hiccups, snotty nose. everything. he looks at me with these great big sad eyes and tells me how much he misses his nanny...

my mother let my father leave before i was born. he wanted to go and she gave him a bit of a push from what i understand. i hurt for it. i didn't want my son to have to go through that too. but at this point i really wish i had done the same thing for him that my mom did for me. i grew up with a dad, and though i knew the difference between dad and father too young, i had a great dad and i had a great family and my life was stable. it was consistant. i got disappointed once when i learned that my father didn't want me. i didn't have to learn that over and over again like my son has when his father and grandmother keep jerking him around. i'm not a violent person, i don't like seeing people hurt or knowing people have been hurt, but right now, i really wish that Fee and Gee would just disappear. i know it would hard on my son at first but he would adjust. he wouldn't have to be hurt over and over again when his family is too busy for him all the time.

i know i shouldn't let what Gee's friend said get to me. but i have. i'm trying to protect my son. i'm not saying Gee and Fee can't see him or be with him. all i want is some consistancy for him. i want to know that Gee and Fee will keep their promises. i'm not cruel. i'm not.

Oh twitch....I am so sorry. What a very difficult situation. Of course you are not cruel honey. You love your son and it hurts you to have to hurt him....We understand that.

You have a couple of options I think....One is to get a lawyer and get visitations scheduled...maybe one weekend a month if that is all they can commit to. Small children need regular scheduled visits. All this cancelling at the last minute must be very hurtful. He will feel his Dad doesn't want him.
I would also sit down with his father and grandmother and have a calm discussion...if you can have a friend there who is calm and leveled headed that might help. Stay calm and try to explain to his "father" how it makes his son feel when he cancels....Maybe you can make him understand.....but you have to stay calm and trust me I know that is hard when you would like to ring his neck for hurting your child........
Other then that I would think all you can do is make a loving stable home for your son which it sounds like is what you are doing......
I would try not to argue in front of him....that will only hurt him more and I also wouldn't lie to him. I would tell him. Daddy does love you, how could he not, you are so great....but Daddy is having a hard time making plans, ....He sometimes has so many things to do....that is why sometimes he can't come for you on the weekends......Your son will still feel bad but hopefully he will not feel it is because his Dad doesn't love him.
I know how hard this is...We have a good friend going through the same thing......
Try very hard not to get upset....That won't help anyone.
You are dealing with a very difficult situation and it sounds like you are dealing with it in a great way. It is not hard to hear the love in your voice for your son...I know you will do what is best for him. I hope it gets easier and you get it all straightened out soon.....
:hugs:

Since you are on public assistance you should qualify for legal aid - so get a lawyer and start proceedings for a custody and support agreement. Both Fee and Gee can have their conditions laid out for them and when they break the conditions they don't get the boy and that's that. After that if they can't cope with the conditions they agreed to they can only blame themselves.
As far a financial support I would try and leave it open ended since Fee is useless in that respect at the moment. I would suggest a percentage of his income rather than a fixed amount.
As for Gee's friend it sounds like she was basing her judgement on hearing only Gee's side of the story, which I'm sure was embellished. She took a child psychology course? What, one night class at a college? Did she even pass? Any competent and/or ethical psychologist would never do what she did!! She's a ditz - laugh at her stupidity and put the call out of your mind.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time. :(

From the sounds of things, you're doing everything you can to provide a stable and loving home for your son and you should be very proud of that! :D

It's really frustrating when the "important" people in our lives constantly let us down. Make sure your son understands that he hasn't done anything wrong - that he's not the reason that his father and grandmother are constantly "too busy" to see him.

It sounds like Fee has a lot of growing up to do yet himself. For his sake, I hope he comes to his senses before he permanently damages his relationship with his son.

Don't let people bully you - especially when it's apparent that they have only half the story. The fact that you're not receiving financial or even much emotional support from Fee and Gee, yet you still want your son to have as positive a relationship with them as they'll allow, shows that you truly have your son's best interest at heart. It looks to me like you're more mature and responsible than Fee and Gee put together! :D

Firstly, I come from a split family, I totally sympathize with what's going on. I saw my dad every other weekend and at his place it was very stressful for me, but everytime I wanted to go despite what happened. I agree with everyone about getting a lawyer. Even to just have that backer. He can be your go between because I think you should possibly step out of this a bit so legal action can't be taken (I'm always paranoid about legal action being taken on the innocent).

My question to your sons father first would be 'Do you want to be a part of your son's life?' This maybe go over then not good. That's what is really important. He's basically basking in the fact that he doesn't have the responsibility of your son 24/7, he can go and come as he pleases and if he doesn't want to see his son because something better is going on, he doesn't have to. It's like having a kid but all the benefits. He's not paying, he's not supporting your son. I would be very curious what you son thinks when he goes over there. Is it comfortable for him? Does he infact like going there. Times with my dad were very stressful especially with his ex girlfriend because of his drinking and their fights. It was rough. Fortunately my mom was a very stable person. As an adult now I appreciate it big time. I realize what an awesome person my mom is and although my dad's good too, nothing compares to my mom.

I understand the stance you have taken to change the visitations, but I would go to a lawyer to discuss with him. Like Mumsy said you should be able to get legal aid. I agree that this yes then no situation is probably very hard on your son.

As for what the friend said. Yes I understand why it would bother me, I would stew about it as well. As well meaning as friends are, they should really stay out of it, because they are getting a biased one side of the story. I would do what you did, tell yours sons grandmother about the call, tell her you don't appreciate phone calls from people outside of the situation, if she has something to deal with you about she should be straight up and talk to you about it. Tell her that you don't deserve this treatment. Also just ignore the friend as best you can.

In my opinion you have done the best you can with your life basically raising your son alone. Congrats to you with that and standing up and being the mother your son needs. But like I said, see if you can get legal help.

You are a strong and loving parent. The fact that it's taken until now for you to lose your cool, within hearing of your child, attests to that. You are only human! I totally agree with others who have suggested seeking legal advice, however, have you considered speaking to a social worker? a mediator? I just took a quick look online and I noticed that for the St.John's area there are several phone numbers for resources, Family Services 634-8295, Family Resource Centre 633-2182, Health and Community Services 658-2734 and legal advice is offered for women through the YWCA at 634-7720. Speaking to your own doctor and/or your child's pediatrician is also a good avenue for finding resources, building a team to help you and your son to live the best life you can achieve, regardless of other family member's actions. You will get through this, and so will your son. All you can do is love him, be strong and be his shoulder to cry on when he needs that support (trust me, my child has had a world of hurt from the actions of his father, you cannot take the hurt away entirely, as much as you would like to, being there for them, empathizing, communicating and making sure you both have a support network to see you through the rough times - you'll both come through with flying colours).

Feel free to pm me anytime if you need to talk!

(((((hugs))))
Donna-Lynne

I come from divorced parents, my father never bothered. Ya know there are far worse things to happen to a child. My mother raised five very well rounded, intelligent and wonderful people. We are no worse for the wear. What becomes a terrible wear on the child is the constant shifting and being disappointed over and over again.

You have been put into a situation that stinks no matter what view you look at it from. You cant make people be in his life that have "other" things to do. I dont understand how an otherwise loving grandmother can just cancel on a kid. They do look forward to those visits, they want to see that family. I have found that over time they become resentful.

Maybe Im wrong but why would you continue to let him see his child and not make an issue over child support? I know that makes a mess, but he should be supporting his son. Its only right that he at least attempt to do his share. Having a child on weekends isnt being a parent as Im sure your well aware :redhot:

Its tough, Im sorry. I wish you and your son all the best. Your a good mama, dont ever let anyone tell you any different, not for one second.

It makes sense what you have done and I'm certain that in the same situation I would have come to the same decision. You're a great mother and you're definitely not being cruel! You've been putting up with Gee and Fee's nonsense for long enough and they are being remarkably self-absorbed. There has been a lot of good advice offered so I won't suggest anything more... not that I really know what to suggest.

My sister went through a similar situation with her son and his father. When my sister separated from her partner, their son (my nephew), who was 4yo at the time, would get so upset and miss his father so much, but the wretched father couldn't be bothered making an effort to spend any time with him. It took numerous months, maybe even a year, but my nephew started to not miss his dad and eventually became happy without him. My nephew's a very sensitive boy and took it harder than most children would IMO. But they do recover, one of the many advantages of being so young.

:cuddle:

Twitch,
sounds like you are doing what is best for your son
Good that you said things can`t continue the way they are ...
Hopefully, you and his grandmother will be able to work out something that works for everyone. It really sounds like his dad isn`t involved very much at all.

thank you everyone for your support. it really means a lot to me to know that i'm not the alone in battles like this even if that is only for a shoulder to vent on. it really does help.

gee and i met later that night to discuss things. if nothing else i did get the impression from gee's friend calling that gee was not as ok with everything as i thought she was when ending our original phone conversation. she said she didn't tell her friend to call, it is possible that that is the truth and her friend just took on herself. personally? i don't believe it but i told her i didn't appreciate the call and that i deserve better then that. that being said i let the matter of the phone call slide.

we worked out an alternate arrangement. apparently the reason for the last ditched weekend was because the doctor told her to rest, no work, no cleaning, no cooking, nothing but rest. she's an older woman that has never taken proper care of herself, so again, this is plausible. i'm not sure if i believe her or not but we move on. its possible so i give the benefit of the doubt. i never got that information until our talk but it is also possible that something got lost in translation to me from my BF who took the message... so, we're going to try a different arrangement. given Gee's health and history of everything it was decided that my son would only go over every OTHER weekend instead of every one. i was disappointed that they wanted less time then i originally offered (i thought i was being nice by giving them extra time then what the courts would normally allow because 2 weekends a month is really next to nothing) but this is what they wanted. or at least what gee wanted. fee never came along to decide anything. i don't know if he even knows the situation yet or what his opinion on that is. we were also talking about gee coming over and babysitting on the 2 nights that i have night classes during the week. given the track record i also found a backup babysitter just in case. we are also supposed to get together at the end of every month for coffee and to touch base so there can be no more misunderstandings.

so, not thrilled with the outcome and suspicious on how long it will last. if it starts to go backwards i'm being in legal aid and we'll go through the courts from there on in. it would probably be easier to just go through the courts now but i don't want to cause any undue strife and so am trying to play as nice as possible. but i don't know what more i can try on my own after this.

i also asked her why she thought my son would tell me all the time that he doesn't like his dad. her answer was that he was the one that disciplines him, and pretty much the only one that does over there. so if i am to believe that, then she is royally screwing up the father son relationship by always making dad the bad guy. i suggested that that may not be the best course of action and then she changed her tune to say that she does discipline him too. mmhmm..

but i can only take what they say and they say it. i can question and have suspicions and have back up plans but i can do no more then that. well, i can also wish i had done what my mother had done for me instead. but i can't turn back time so i'll just make sure to tell my son how sorry i am for the way things turned out when he's older and can understand. i could do nothing more then try and though i have regrets about the choices i made now, then it seemed like a good plan...

but believe me, this is the last time i try to be nice. i can play hardball and be nasty as much as they like if they want to push me there. they do not know how close i came to calling in the courts after that phone call from gee's friend. they do not know how close i came to correcting the mistake of letting them be part of my son's life rather then letting them walk away. the past does not go away simply because they wish i would forget about it. they can't make up for all that time they wasted and all that they taught me about them, but i am willing to put it aside if they really want what is best for my son and do what is best by him. still i hold little hope that this arrangement will last a year...

Your son is a lucky little boy to have such a caring and concerned mother.....
None of us are perfect at parenting...it is hard work......we do the best we can and love them with all we have and it will all work out. :hugs:

Twitch, my son & I went thru this. My ex would only paid the court-ordered support when we went back to court because of arrears and even then with a few dollars in cash and the rest bounced cheque often.
Fine...

But he would increasingly often not take his son on their scheduled time, and the cancellations came with less & less ahead warning and then sometimes none. One day my son sat on a chair in the kitchen under a huge wall clock waiting for dad and adamantly refused to take his coat off or go do something else while he waited (and I didn't force him cause it seemed that was the only control he felt he had), and he sat there all day and I watched the clock hands go round & round and no call came - and then I had to make him go to bed. It was heartbreaking. And the last straw.

That's when I saw a lawyer to have his rights rescinded and my 2nd husband adopt him. He kicked up a fuss til he was told that he's be let off the hook for all money owing, then he signed the papers. His wanting 'his' time with our son was about control, not about our son's needs.

I told my son thru the years that when he was 18 and could understand he could make his own choices about seeing his 1st dad (tho he never asked to see his 1st dad after that day under the clock). And when he did get older I helped him get in touch - but his 1st dad was the same unreliable. My son thanked me. My son has just turned 30 and his 1st dad has been the same all this time and my son has thanked me many times.

It doesn't matter what your ex or any of his friends say. It's about what your son feels.

If it helps any, I can tell you what I do whenever I make plans to meet up with T's father. I just don't tell T we are until we're driving there. Like Fee, his dad is VERY unreliable and I'm not going to put him through disappointment by saying "Well you get to go the park with daddy today" and then "Daddy" finding something better to do an hour before we're supposed to meet up. I learned that when he was just an infant, and while it's not completely ideal ("Why is it always a surprise when I go see Daddy?") I feel like I'm protecting him from feeling unwanted and let down when things just don't work out.

Also... T says he doesn't like his grandmother (not my mother, his father's mother) but that's because she is pretty strict and hard on him and well his other grandmother is definitely not that way at all. There may not be *too* much to him saying he doesn't like his dad, especially at this age. But it was good of you to ask his grandmother about it, maybe she'll keep an ear out for anything that would make him feel that way.

For everyone's sake, I hope the new arrangement works out for you and your son.

wow.. twich... you are an AMAZING mom.. you are such a responsible, careing, and extremely patient woman. i cant say that if i was in your situation i would be as patient as you have been... id be like "screw them, i grew up without a dad or anyone on his side of the family and i turned out fine"...
fee is a dead-beat dad and i certainly hope one day he regrets not being around..frankly, i dont care if he was a young father.. if he was "man" enough to make a baby.. he needs to be man enough to help raise it ..besides , by that time your son is old enough to understand, your son prolly wont want anything to do with him anyway.so tough luck for fee.. he will regret it. aaaaannd, gee just sounds like a drama queen... im sure she loves her grandson.. but if she cant find the time for him and is constantly dissapointing him, then shes not a good person... plus it sets a VERY BAD example for your son.
i cant believe her friend had the nerve to call you and rag you out.. with or without gees knowledge, it is non of her business to be calling you.. someone needs to wash her mouth out with soap or something. :redhot: GAWD!!

all i can tell you girl is, you are amazing and your son will always appreciate you. :cuddle:

WOW it's good to hear all these stories. Twitch, for me I visited my dad every two weeks. And sometimes we had to cancel because at the time he was driving truck and sometimes wasn't around. My dad never fought to have christmas with me because he felt christmas was with my mom in my home. Once I got older he let me decide what I wanted. But I had always spent christmas with my mom, and the fact my dad seemed happy with boxing day visits I thought all was good. I love christmas at home. So when my wedding came around and he decided to fight for his right to be the only one walking down the aisle I got upset. He never fought for anything that he could win, but he chose to fight the one he would not win. That was great. There is now somewhat of a rift between the two of us. Wayne made the comment to me that when we go visit my dad it's not like at my mom's and stepfather's where it's more parental it's like visiting a fun uncle. He tries to make everything great and it's not that warm comfortable home feeling. I think that's because he tried so hard only having me every other weekend to make it fun that it has become that way. It's kinda like visiting a grandparent.

Good luck.

It sucks doing it this way...I have 3 boys ( I had the first at 17...then married the dad because I didn't want to be a 'statistic') we hd 2 more son's by the time I was 22 and have never really been together. I tried my damnest to be a good wife to him but relized eventualy it was be a good mama or wife...so being a mama won. My ex has been in and out of their lives...depending on the moment,girlfriend and current drug. He's called CPS and had them take my boys saying I beat them...all so I'd let him come back. ( it was proven I'm not only a fit mother but a damn good 1) he's gotten my child bonus cut off and got me kicked off S.A. ( said he lived wit me when he was living in St. John.....

Anyway...i could keep up the bitching for days but.......

The point is.... I chose him once and in return he gave me the most precious gifts possible. Three little boys who came from both of us and have both of us in them....I like to tell them they got their sweetness and heart from their daddy ( yes...he's like that with everyone but us) and their mouth and wit from me. The person who loses out is him....he's not there for the kisses and hugs...the pink,warm sleepy cheeks....the singing in the kitchen....and the cuddles in bed. HE MISSES OUT!!!! I've made a family for us...it's Iann,Cassey<Colin and I and our pets...thier may not be a 'dad' in house ( or around at all sometimes0 but we have each other...and thats a lot. Isn't it better to have an amazing single parent family then a ho-hum family with the conventional mom dad thing???

Love you're son extra...it's easy, because even on the hardest days.....you get everything and he can't even began to imagine what he's missing. Keep you're head up,play in the dirt,smile and ENJOY not sharing...be a little selfish....and know that you're enough.

:heart:

kat

Back