how do you make yourself 'stop'

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I originally had just two dogs for a few years (b4 that we fostered kittens) , then I adopted 2 male ratties last year (my first) and my husband said NO MORE. He was against rats bc he , like many others , saw them as gross vermin (his mind has changed a bit since then but not completely) then recently I adopted a little brown irish berkshire who was to become snake food which i just could not let happen of course. Then I recently bought a huge cage for my three ratty boys and decided I could fit another one in (the cage is big enough to fit 8!) so I looked into a breeder this time and made the arrangements today for a little 6 week old variegated to come home to me this weekend. I have made four my limit, I realize even now, four will be a bit of a challenge as just these three are tough to keep track of when i open the cage and let them roam a bit. I also have three kids under 6 and two teen step kids so I have a full house as it is. I would LOVE to have more, and I will... in the future. Right now I want to give my ratties lots of love so they can each have a happy full life and I cant do that with a hoarde of rats so four it is and four it will always be.

It is very hard not to respond when it is a matter of life or a horrible death for so many needy rats.
It is hard when you know that whatever you can provide is so much better then any of the other options.
It is hard when there are no rescues or shelters that will take in needy rats ....

How do you stop, without turning off your heart? .... I have no idea ....

I'm trying to stop.. honest. Currently I have 11 animals in my home, and I think I've reached my limit.
With 3 Dogs, 3 Guinea pigs, and 5 rats it's hard to find a moments peace.. it's always: someone needs their cage cleaned, its feeding time, gotta give them floor time, walks for the dogs. I swear I never really just sit still. Lucky I'm a stay at home wife, my only job being babysitting a 9 year old (who laughed at me when I brought the new 3 rats home) so I do have plenty of time for them. But, goodness, it's getting intense at my house. :thud:

Thank goodness my husband is very supportive :thumbup:.... As long as he gets something for his "hobby" as well. :dance:

I'm lucky enough to have a boyfriend who is rational enough to tell me "no". I was in a petshop the other day where there were at least 20 babies of all sizes and colors...all marketed as snake food. He actually had to drag me out of there, me in tears. I have two boys at home but I'm also a full-time student. So I guess that's what I tell myself :l but it's hard.

Back