How do you explain this? (Everyone answer please)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jorats, why cant you just feed your rats the 2018? i'm guessing you like 2014 better?

I'm going to throw it out there that it's because the 2018 has a higher protein percentage than the 2014? 18% compared to 14%.

I don't think it's that people think you're lying - theratlady said she's skeptical, that's not an accusation that you're lying - but there are many variables to take into consideration and many questions raised.

I would be inclined to think it's the environment and/or genetics causing the extended life rather than that one particular diet (is it being compared to other diets in the same conditions??), but it will be interesting to see what other information you can get for everyone.

no, no, no. The rats are living in the same conditions as ours, large cages, lots of play time and they are from different experienced breeders. There genetics arnt the different.

Ratlover101 said:
And Jorats, why cant you just feed your rats the 2018? i'm guessing you like 2014 better?

The reason I prefer the 2014, is because it's 14% protein but also it does not have any alfalfa, soy nor fish. Also the fat is only 3.5%

Holy Shite! What condition were those 5 yr olds in? Did you get a printout of the diet cause you know all us ratlovers would be desperate to have it - I can't imagine it would be any state secret or anything so please get it and post it for us!
But of course we are all starting out with rescues and not myco-free lab rats but still it may have merit eh?

Far as it's comparison to Jorat's diet you do have to keep in mind that myco is what kills most of our kids unless something else gets them first. And none or our kids are myco-free like they are in labs (nor would they be if we took them from a lab)

Every step forward is a happy leap, but Ratlover101 Try bringing one of those kids HOME on that diet. If you get even 3 years we'll be storming that place demanding their retirees.
I'm one that doesn't use Jo's diet. But I've never seen one more life or health-sustaining than this one she's researched.

I find it hard to believe that these animals came from your normal breeder. Most animals kept in lab settings are born into conditions that are free of the regular stuff that gets to pet rats.

Five years is a long time and Im amazed that animals kept in the ordinary way we keep our pets have all lived so long.

Should be interesting to see the numbers crunched and whats being fed to these animals long term. I for one would have to see it to completely believe it.

Amazing.

Look at what you miss when you go back to school. That will teach me to not neglect my reading... 5 yrs? wow! seems almost too good to be true. I would also love to learn more specifics as soon as you have them!

Yes I do actually, I dont know why I didnt update! It does turn out that they did something geneticly or whatever to the rats and thats why they lived so long. Sorry for the misunderstanding and whatnot.

Back