How do I know my rats trust me?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xXTheLastSnowXx

I'm pretty new to rats and I made sure I did my research on the animal before I even made arrangements to get them. I got them pretty early. I knew the woman who was breeding personally and she gave them to me at 3.5 weeks, almost a month old. I later read that it is best to have them leave the mother at 5 weeks so I don't know if that changes anything with behavior but they seen to slightly trust me, I mean it's a lot better then when I first got them but they don't seem to wanna bond with me like a lot of other rat owners say theirs like to be around them. They do take food from me when they are out of the cage and in the cage. The sit on my shoulders all the time and can be up there forever. They happily brux on my shoulders sometimes. When I put my hands in the cage they always come up to me but the bite my finger nails for some reason just little nibbles. But they don't seem to want to leave the cage too much. I pick them up and I try to use the scoop method so they don't get frightened when I put them up from the top since they are pray animals and no matter what I do they squirm and try to get back in the cage and just put up a bit of a fuss. Once they are out they seem to calm down but only when they are on my shoulders it seems. If I try to hold them in my hands they squirm and claw to get up my arms to my shoulders but time times they are okay if I hold them in my hands, we have good and bad days but majority of the times they just wanna be on my shoulders and I just don't feel like they trust me too much and I don't feel like we are even bonding at his point. If I give them a play area and sit with them they ignore me or just go right to the shoulders so I don't really know what to do. I haven't really seen this problem anywhere else online. Thank you for reading :3

P.s. They will be a total of two months old on the 17th (Nov. 17th 2013)

It sounds like you and your rats are doing well. Do you give treats during out time? Try keeping treats with you and offer when they come over, gradually only offering when they are on your lap or legs.

The rats I have owned, all females, were also very active when young and always on the move when out. They came to enjoy petting and scratches more in their old age.

Thats a good sign that they want to be on your shoulders, some times it just takes a long time for some rats to trust us fully.
There are quite a few things you can try and help bond with them. You can try to put them down your Jumper/ Sweater/ Hoody and they can get use to your smells (don't wear any fragrances it's usually best to wear the hoody/ jumper for a few days so it smells like you). You can also put a worn t-shirt you dont care for too much in their cage so they can get to know your smells.
The human T-pee is a great one too get a blanket/fleece and drape it over yourself you them become their hidey place and climbing frame. Try and talk to them in a soft gentle voice and always say "good Boy/Girl" when ever you offer them treats. It sound like your on the right track just a little more time and I'm sure they'll trust you, just remember at that age they will want to explore and play.
Good luck with your ratties.

Thanks! I'm just a first time paranoid rat parent but it's good to hear that I'm on the right path with them. I wanna make sure they have a full happy life with someone they trust. I will try out some of the different techniques and start using my voice more with them cause I tend to be very quite.

I felt the same way. None of my rats ever want to willingly come out but are fine once they are out. I had Tyrion bruxing and popcorning tonight. He's the first one to play back! it was so cute!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Back