How do I know if bruxing is from happiness or stress?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePokemonMaster

I'm pretty sure my babies are bruxing, or at least, I hear some kind of grinding sound in their mouth.... I want to know if they're happy or stressed. I also occasionally hear little vocalizations while they're doing it, but they're so short I wouldn't really call them squeaks. It's sort of like a high pitched guinea pig sound.

Hmmm rats are pretty much silent, although babies can make some horrible screechy ("you are killing me!") noises. But if they are resting and making guineapig noises, you might have a couple of early-sick babies :( Any way to get us a video with sound?

As for the bruxxing, if their body language is relaxed, their eyes are a little or halfway closed, they look content, you have HAPPY bruxxing. Stressed bruxxing the whole body is stiff, and the eyes are open wide, the better to see predators with. Most bruxxing is happy though :) Wait for your first boggle, where at the end of the brux, they pop their eyes in and out...its VERY happy :D

Hmmm rats are pretty much silent, although babies can make some horrible screechy ("you are killing me!") noises. But if they are resting and making guineapig noises, you might have a couple of early-sick babies :( Any way to get us a video with sound?

As for the bruxxing, if their body language is relaxed, their eyes are a little or halfway closed, they look content, you have HAPPY bruxxing. Stressed bruxxing the whole body is stiff, and the eyes are open wide, the better to see predators with. Most bruxxing is happy though :) Wait for your first boggle, where at the end of the brux, they pop their eyes in and out...its VERY happy :D

I'll try and get a video today.

Actually that was a great question about bruxing!
Yep if the eye boggling comes along with it they are about the happiest a rattie can be.

I think you are gonna be a great rattie parent :love5:- it's great you are going to get them to a vet to make sure about a possible respitory issue. Unfortunately I think most rats end up getting it for one reason or another.
Antibiotics & rats go hand it hand ( or paw in paw ). Make sure the vet treats rats/exotics.
Let us know the outcome.

Back