How do I get her past this..?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abazoo

I let my little girls free roam in my room and most of them (six girls) come to the bed where I collect them when its time to return to the cage... but my little girl Alison hides under things most of the time and when I go to collect her, she darts off to the closet under my extra shoes and such when I search for her... when I can finally corner her she pauses and I'm able to grab her quick enough sometimes.. but she screeches!! I've tried offering her a treat before we go anywhere after that but she doesn't take anything outside of the cage. So I take her downstairs near the cage and she wants in rightaway... I usually pet her a couple more times but she's more comfortable inside of the cage. I've been able to warm up to her enough to pet her often while visiting them all inside of the cage but our problem is collecting after free roaming :? Its like she gets really nervous when I have to start moving things to look for her... is it an inbred thing that she is afraid of being uncovered?

Probably you are right. I once had a ratty girl (Tia) who was just like your Alison --- always the last to be found after playtime was over. I usually had to move things and catch her, and you'd think I was going to so something terrible the way she would hide from me!

I know, I feel bad for having to grab her roughly... that's the only way I've found to catch tho is to chase her :(
Two nights ago I spent half the night in and out of bed trying to corner her.. really I shouldn't have had playtime that late tho (and I won't again) but it was frustrating because I was tired at that point :(
Everyone else is happy to socialize with me and play with each other in the room, but Alison mostly runs under things or along the wall. Idk how to work with her... I need pointers on how to get her use to getting collected after free roaming :?

When one of mine gets loose, or is hard to retrieve, it works best for me to provide something like a box (which provides cover) with a little treat in it.

Saves energy and angst, and it usually works.

Have you tried forced socializing with the "down the shirt" trick? This helps get her to bond to your smell and when it's time to go home it might get her to run to you for comfort. She would need lots of "down the shirt" before she's to the point of bonding with you.

Omgoodness Jo, that idea must have been the trick because I did it with Alison (and Casey for company) while waching an hour of tv yesterday and during playtime today, she was like a different girlie! She was following the other girls around and then playing with them and even that was a real improvment! THEN she came and visited with me on the bed too! I stayed real still at first so I didn't startle her, and she kept coming back for more and when Casey was getting petted Alison stayed for some too.. then petted her when she visited again on her own. I'm so proud of her :heart: I was taking pics, but figures my cam died (for the first time ever) on me while I wanted to capture her playing and climbing on me :cry4:
When it was time to go home she had gone off to play with the other girls in the closest and was on the shelf and she let me pick her up slowly(but she did get stiff) and I just collected everyone else and we went home.... no dramas!!

The "down the shirt" trick is an excellent way to bond, but if you have a biter....... :shock:

I know, I was shocked that just one time of extra bonding helped Alison that much :joy: I think I'll have her out again today while watching tv just to foster this new behavior :nod: Hope we can do a playtime today too, then I'll try to get some pics if she does well. Thanks everyone :)

Back