How do I discipline my mischievious rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lis16420

My rat, Sookie is the most mischevious rat i have EVER had. She loves to sneak places, and she finds candy I didn't know I had!(this doesn't bother me as much) When I have her on my bed, she knows how to climb down, and sometimes I don't mind, but others I just want her to stay by me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to train her to stop being so naughty? She also chews on her cage (especially when I am trying to sleep!!!), and I can't move the rat's cage elsewhere (i still live at home). I've tried clapping and loud noises but she just goes right back to it. I call her my little monster; she's a sweetie, but she drives me INSANE! Any suggestions?

Does she have lots of toys that are good for her to chew on? How much out time exercise does she get? Female rats need lots of exercise as they generally like to go explore.

There is no disipline that will work to get her to stop. You can try positive reinforcement to get her to direct those brehaviours in a less bothersome way, but ultimately these are just normal rat behviours.

I would make sure she has an out time area that she can explore at her will and provide her with lots of other things to chew on. Maybe try giving her some yummy but quiet food to eat right when you go to bed so she'll be quiet enough for long enough for you to fall asleep. :wink2:

Make your bed an interesting place to be. When my daughter did her out time on the bed, she covered every inch with something to do. Have "special" items that are only played with during out time. We found the cat carrier which we use for transport purposes was a favorite thing to play in. As they really enjoyed playing in it, it made trips to the vet alot less stressful. Come up with little things, it doesn't take much to please a rat. Enjoy. :D

sounds JUST like my spaz attack girl Pumpkin :heart: Since she's such a hyper girl do you try to major interact with her like *gently* flip her onto her back and tickle her tummy making tickle sounds **sounds completely bonkers I know hahah** Pumpkin is my cuckoo rat that makes me act mischievious like her :whip: At first I was like OMG!!! :gaah: FREAKIN CALM DOWN ALREADY SHEESH! Now I've learned that if I act just as cuckoo and throw the ball for her, she'll go get it and bring it back. She also had TONS of toys and the playskool barn to play in where I hid treats for her in the cage, and she'd still bar chew. What I did is bought some of the kabob lava chews and fruit mineral teeth grinder thingies and instead of putting them on the one kabob I put just one on several shower hooks and have them AAALLLL over the cage. I also make her "firecrackers"...this is where I take her regular food mixed in with some dehydrated peas and a couple yogies and roll them up in a few paper towels, then shove them into a few TP rolls and "hide" them all over the cage so she has to forage for her food. I also have a couple bird mirrors that swing and some bells that I hang that keep her super entertained. And lastly, I take the baby carrots and bull clip them onto various levels of the cage so she has to climb the walls :giggle: to get to them and then figure out how to get them down. Keep her busy that's for sure....and me too come to think of it :panic: hahaha good luck :wink2:

You can try to make squicky noises any time you see she's up to something... like, right before she chews something she shouldn't.
Sometimes you just have to be patient :)
I trained my boys to stay on the car sit. I gently used my hands to make them stay there until they learned they're not suppose to get out. Took some time, but they learned... maybe your girl just needs time... and a kind, patient heart... very patient xD

Back