How CRUEL.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexandraBoo

I was in pets unlimited tonight, and they had a small glassed in rat cage with 2 beautiful bubs in there. One was a beige hooded, and one was agouti. I picked up the beige hooded, nice as can be. I was patting him and noticed some large scabbs around his neck. I looked and there was large scabs all around. And very irritated skin :evil: I was so mad. Especially because they were bedded on PINE. YES PINE.... I talked to the manager, about this, and he said he will just sell for a feeeder!
I WAS LIKE OMG. Just because he has a few scabs he is snake food? I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW.. SO MAD... Poor guy. I would have bought him if i could have... :cry: :cry:

Aww poor thing. Pet stores suck. I swear the people working in there no nothing about the animals that they are supposed to be taking care of. It's the same down here. I had one of the pet store guys telling me that pine was good for him. I looked at him and was like um no it's not and proceed to tell him why. Hopefully he took notes so he can at least give his customers the right info.

I know Pet stores (people) are so frustrating....I guess it is best to stay out of them......I hardly ever go in but I was asked to keep an eye on the puppies...we (I work at a shelter) had lots of complaints about them not having any water....so in I went and spoke with the guy working....nice but young and stupid...anyway while I was in there I went to look at the rats. :cry: There was a mom with young babies (eyes not open) in the corner of a glass tank....in pine, no box. She just had them all in a pile in the corner and she was lying across them. There where 5 or 6 other rats in with her ( and the tank was small) and two of them were male. I tried to talk with the young guy but he just stared at me with this stupid look on his face and then he said "they are just snake food" I was so mad and upset...I cried the whole way home...and ranted and raved to my husband.......It is so discouraging.........I guess you have to focus on the small successes stories along the way or the big picture will drive you mad...... Anyway I went back in with some reading material...I had typed it up very simply so not to confuse anyone with big words.....on rat care, sexing, seperating.....etc....Anyway the guy took it and said he would read it over......and thanked me for being "nice" (I wanted to rip his head off and stuff it....ugh never mind.........

Yeah, i just called animal protection on them. I tried to explain how bad pine was for them. It was seriously causing this rat to either stress out or he had mites. He definatly needed some medical attention. They were like we will just sell him as snake food. Im like uhm no your not.... your going to get him back to health and sell him as a nice pet :evil: I was so mad... I would have walked out with him. Poor little guy. Friendliest rat i have ever seen! he was so calm, and he lapped up the attention i was giving him. He just loved being pet, and in return he looked at me with his little black eyes and licked me, like saying thank you. Poor Little thing! I am SO MAD..... Anyways. They are sending in cruelty officers, to tell then to switch to aspen or carefresh for the time being. I just talked to a officer... She said this isnt the first complaint. Im like this isnt a complaint. Im like this is serious to the rats and other animals health. shes like i understand :? Hopefully, they will do something about this. If not i am going to freak!

Our Petco/Petsmart isn't like that at all... i guess i'm glad, i wouldn't be as MAd as you are i'd be horribly sad... more sad than mad...
I've never seen anything like that, so i don't know what to say.. honestly.
WHO COULD DO THAT TO A RAT!?

I wish i could've taken that rattie.. i would've .. if my mom would've let me.

I wish i could just save them all....

Our SPCA say they have no rights in a pet stores...you can call Provincial SPCA but unless there is obvious cruelty or neglect they won't do a thing....It is very frustrating.

Well... here the animal cruelty officers can bring them to court, and close down the store if the animals are not cared for properly. And i am MAD, AND SAD... I am mad because i cant do anything about it except what i have already done. And i am sad because of the suffering the go through. I would gladly take there suffering myself, so they could be happy. Like they should be.... :cry:

Back