how can i tame this little guy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trexgorawrrrrr

Well I recently saved a little guy from one of my friends... yes, one of my friends. i was so upset/disapointed with my friend who has other rats, but neglected this little guy. she said she didn't like him because he bit her? but that doesn't mean she can starve the little guy, deprive him a proper care, and attention... ugh :gaah:

well needless to say i couldn't take the fact that she was starving him among other things... and after a long talk with mom, and some tears, he's now mine. he's been with me for about 4 days, and is doing good. but he's EXTREMLY scared. she bought him when he was 3 weeks about a month and half ago, but havn't touched him since they day she got him. so he's probably around 2 months, and hasn't really had any human interaction besides when she would dump a few chip crumbs in his food bowl. :rant: :sad3: so anyway i've been taking him out of his cage for about 10-15 minutes 3-4 times a day. i let him sit and run around in my arms... i pet him while he stays still for the few seconds that he does, let him sniff me, and also let him in my pouch. i always make sure i'm wearing a sweatshirt when i hold him because he loves my pouch. he goes in there and lays down, cleans himself, and pokes his little head out... i've tried offering him yummy treats so that he associates me/humans in general as something good... but he won't take them, even when he's in his cage. he only will take them if i leave them in his cage for him. i don't know what i can do to try and tame him, get him used to humans. i know that he's just really scared.

i'm trying to socialize him and get him to trust me before i put him in with my two other boys. i'm hopeing with proper introductions they will get along great. they're only a week apart in age, so i hope they all will get along.

PS. he has NEVER bitten me... even when she had him in his urine filled/caked poop nasty tank he was living in, he sniffed me... and let me pick him up. well not without running around, but he never even tried to bite me. he's a sweet little guy, i just want him to get used to me

What your doing now is great the sweatshirt thing is wonderful try doing it longer like half hour or an hour at a time; watch some tv or read a book and just keep him with you.
sometimes it could take weeks or only days depends on each rat.

and yes getting him to trust you before adding him with your rats is best. when the time comes make sure to go slow with introing him to the others; here is a great video on how to intro rats together slowly and safely:

[youtube:s7fokxhl]DZk8JOQj5mY[/youtube:s7fokxhl]

He needs loads of socializing. I'd have him out of his cage and constantly on you, inside your sweatshirt. That should get him bonded to you.

You're friend should be charged with animal abuse. :rant:

how is he doing health wise?

Give it a week or so and he will start coming around to you. moving house is stressful for most animals. he wont be taking treats off you yet because he doesnt quite know if he can trust you yet or not.

If you find you still cannot reach him and his behaviors haven't changed in a week or so, go ahead with the intro's...he might need your boys to show him how wonderful you are. He will watch them run to the front of the cage when you open it, he will watch you pat and feed them, and REALLY want to join them but "he's not sure" yet. Then one day he will push between your 2 boys and join them... :heart:

You said that he is only 3 months old and your boys are a week older? They are still babies, I would intro as soon as you can then :)

Oh God, the poor little bug-a-boo.

Your "friend" aught to be stuffed into a urine filled, poop-caked aquarium without food or water for 3 months. I'm sure she'd love it too! :redhot:

You've only had him for a few days, Heather. Give yourself time. You are already making significant progress if you've got him cuddling in your sweatshirt. :bunnydance:

Neglect and lack of interaction with humans is going to make the transition tough, but he is already starting to register that you are good to him. He is getting yummy things to eat and drink. His cage is clean and comfy and he is getting out time and tons of attention which he is not used to. Hang in there, sweetie, you are making more of an impression than you know. :rose:

I agree with Jo and Shelagh. Do the intros sooner rather than later. Rats tend to follow the examples of their friends and cagemates, so this little spoon-size is going to need all the examples he can get from your other boys.

Awesome job, Heather!!!! Just keep plugging along and you will have a happy, healthy little devotee following you all over the house. :love6:

You might want to get him checked. Living in squalid conditions may have impacted his health. Make sure he isn't making any sounds while breathing and check his fur for any parasites. You never know what he may have been subjected to through the filth.

I understand that this gal is your friend, but she has no business owning rats.

You just don't let a dependent little animal starve to death. It just blows my mind. My rat eats better than I do. Albert (RIP) bit me 3 times in the first week and they were BAD bites. One bite took 6 months to heal, my fingers swelled and I had to get a tetanus shot. Despite my anger and upset, my raunchy little fuzzbundle still saw impeccable care and a badly needed neuter. You don't just neglect something for biting you. 99% of the time, bites result from something the human initiated. Animals are rarely malicious just for the sake of being so.

Something probably happened with your little guy which made him feel the need to defend himself. You are obviously doing something right since he does not feel the need to bite you. Kudos to you, Heather. He is a lucky little guy. Hugs to you. :hugs:

thanks everyone for the advice. i have not started introductions yet, but i will probably the process within the next week or two. i've first been waiting to see if he was sick, and also was waiting until he warmed up to me a little! and he has! he will actually take treats from me now, still won't eat out of his cage, but will take the treats in his cage... a little step! but i did take all your advice, and i've been playing with him longer. i play with him for about 20-30 min in at least two sessions... with little 10 min sessions here and there through out the day. i've also basically made a little play area on my bed with different pillows, automans, clothes, toys, ect... and he enjoys playing on there! but he's gotten more used to me. he won't run and hide in his plastic igloo anymore. he actually will come up sniff me... and when my boyfriend is holding him, all he wants to do is run over to me! :giggle: but anyway i wanted to post some pictures of him... he's so cute! my first dumbo, and although i've seen dumbos before... i just love his little ears, and think he's the cutest!

told you he likes my pouch! (his first picture)
155.jpg

156-2.jpg

157.jpg

159-3.jpg

160-2.jpg

161-1.jpg

162.jpg

163.jpg

164.jpg

PS does anyone think he has rex fur? i'm not too sure... he doesn't feel like my standards do, but he isn't real fluffy... but fluffy enough. plus his whiskers are not curly... what do you think he is? the second picture is probably the best fur wise.

Yeah, you just have an extra-soft kiddo there... but a real cute one!

Since he's young he may be mid-moult or not have all his older "guard" hairs yet, making him feel different.

You're doing great! Just keep giving him lots of love and attention.

And geez, if you're not willing to get bitten once in a while, you shouldn't have animals! I've been bitten by dogs (not really bad), cats, rats, ferrets, hamsters, fish (doesn't really hurt), horses (hurt the most!) but I still love animals and always will.......

Good Grief he's ADORABLE!
He looks like my Winnie! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I would continue with the pouch time, and perhaps intro him to your other boys so he has buddies!
Great job BTW! He doesn't look all that scared!

Also, I agree, he's not a rex, but could be going through that whole moulting phase which can make their fur do some strange things.
:giggle:

Back