How bad is using towels for bedding?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarah

I've heard people say it's bad because they can hitch nails in the tiny loops, but on the other hand i've seen a lot of people use towels.

I would think they absorb a lot better than fleece..

I've used towels from time to time but you do have to keep an eye on the condition of the towel because, yes, the ratties can get their little toe nails caught in the loops.

You could always put a layer of fleece over top of the towel, so you get the absorption but not the little loops.

I used towels for the longest time... until I found one of my rats with thin thread wrapped around his neck. That's when I switched to fleece.

I have been using beach type towels for quite some time now, whenever I can get them (the dollar store only carries them on and off).... much less stinky/gross than the fleece. The fleece I find I have to throw out (a single pee gets crusty yucky), whereas the towels I will actually wash. I have never noticed anything a rat could get stuck in.

I use mostly fleece in my cage, but for the bottom level I have been using towels for some time now. I find they absorb the pee much better than the fleece, also they are heavier so the rats are a bit less likely to pull them up...but I know they can be dangerous, when mine get stringy I try to cut all of them off, when thats not possible I just throw them out...

Back