housing/group dilemma - suggestions welcome

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

I'm down to 2 groups of 2 - Helo & Wolf, and Morrissey & Bear.

Morrissey lost his lifelong buddy last week. He is sad and lonely. His remaining friend, Bear, is poor company. Bear is sick and inactive. They occassionally snuggle, but Morrissey is used to more rat on rat interaction. It breaks my heart to see him lonely.

Ideally, i'd combine the groups. Wolfie and Helo are young and rambunctious, introing Morrissey would be difficult, but I'm sure it can be done.

Bear is the problem. He has bad resp problems (or so we think...long story, but that's what we're treating him for), and he freaks out terribly around the other group. After one brief intro I knew it was too much for him with his breathing.

So what do I do? If Morrissey moves in with the others, that leaves Bear all alone. He may be inactive, but he does like the occassional cuddle and grooming session. I am not taking in more rats right now. The situation is just so sad.

I would suggest leaving Bear and Morrisey together and getting a spayed female for company. A female would *theoretically* be intro'd easier with two boys, and Bear may accept her without getting all worked up. Then when Bear passes, you can intro the two of them to your other two.

Or, you can intro Morrisey to the other two boys, and let them have play time together. Then put Morrisey back in with Bear so Bear has company too. That way Morrisey gets to have more rattie interaction, but you are not leaving Bear by himself.

Joanne said:
I would suggest leaving Bear and Morrisey together and getting a spayed female for company. A female would *theoretically* be intro'd easier with two boys, and Bear may accept her without getting all worked up. Then when Bear passes, you can intro the two of them to your other two.

Or, you can intro Morrisey to the other two boys, and let them have play time together. Then put Morrisey back in with Bear so Bear has company too. That way Morrisey gets to have more rattie/foste interaction, but you are not leaving Bear by himself.

We have done a bit of the latter option. Morrissey gets along ok with the other boys during couch time. Out time in my room is a different story. It will take time.

If I were to adopt a female, does she have to be spayed? Bear and morrissey are neutered, so no danger of babies. But would a spayed girl be more calm? Idk, as I've never had girls.

I may ask my friend L if she has any I could foster.

Fostering is a great idea! Ask for an older female/s.
Are the young boys neutered as well? The scent of an intact female could drive them a little wonky. But then again, it might not.
Giving Morrissey play time with the young boys is also a good idea, maybe even give him part of the days with them in their cage if they are all comfortable with that.

Back