Hiya! I'm new! And already have a question. xP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I test new foods first, if they don't like it you've wasted meds. In my experience it doesn't keep them from eating the dosed meds later on :)

Good luck with your babies :)

Alrighty then, got the meds today and tried to feed them their medicine tonight!

First of all, I don't know if there are different names for medicines, but what the "pink stuff" that I got with the Doxy was actually Trimethoprim-sulfa. What do you guys think about that? I know you guys thought that one you kept recommending was good, do you know anything about this medicine?

Second of all, I made a mistake... I put wayyy too much baby food in my mix. >_< Neddy didn't even eat half of what I gave him... but I'm trying not to feel bad about it because I for sure know better for tomorrow morning! I mixed the baby food in with a little peanut butter, heated it up for about 10 seconds, and then dribbled the medicine in. I put the plate of the mixture into their playpen, and put Neddy in it. At first he licked at it a bit and then gave up. I tried not to lose hope, so I took the plate out and put some on my finger and he would lick it up! I kept doing that for quite a while... not hardly making a dent in my concoction (my bad... -_-) but the good news is, he ate way more than he would have if it was plain. I know that doesn't say much because I don't really know how much medicine I got in him since the amount of mixture was a lot. But I love the fact that Neddy tried. He got sick of it after a while, but I couldn't blame him. So I've learned my lesson about how much to cover the medicine and hopefully tomorrow is a better day! :D I'm just so happy that he didn't just turn up his nose and walk away!

So even though I made a mistake and he didn't end up eating all of his medicine anyway, it was my first try, and I'm happy with the results. I'll just hope tomorrow gives me good results too! Oh and by the way, I didn't even have to give Grif special treatment, he ate it happily with bread, just as he has done before when I used to get the pink medicine. What a good boy! :p

Unfortunately the Trimethoprim-sulfa is not really an effective drug for lung issues. You could try the med for a few days and then go back to the vet and ask for Enrofloxacin.
I give all my meds in a syringe. I'm quite lucky cause my rats will grab the syringe and lick up as I slowly administer it.

So it's been a week since they got onto the Doxy + Trimethoprim-sulfa combo... and they're not really changing much. If it WAS supposed to help with what they have, would it have been apparent that it's been working by now? Or how long does it take for medicine to take effect?

I'm afraid that my vet might not have Enrofloxacin because when the first medicine didn't help, she switched me onto this combination, making it seem like there was no other choice. I was trying to read about Enrofloxacin a bit the other day and it said something about the UK... I'm not sure where you all live, but does that have something to do with why my vet might not have it? I live in the US. Also, don't worry, I'll call the vet soon (or whenever their current medicine is gone) and ask for that specific medicine, and if they don't have it, I'll ask if they know somewhere where I can get it.

Also another question I have, I know I should wait until my rats show no signs of illness in order to get new rats... but I'm still thinking about those poor ratties at the humane society and how they're probably still there (as far as I know)... What would you guys suggest in order to get these new rats..? I know I should wait until my rats get better before bringing in new rats, but how exactly contagious is what they have? If I put the other rats on the other side of the room (20 ft long room), would they start getting what my guys have? I know that I should wait until I find medicine that works, but I also want these rats, and I'm trying to figure out what's right and wrong as far as this illness goes. So any advice, would be greatly appreciated!!! And thank you Jorats for telling me about the Trimethoprim-sulfa! My boyfriend was trying to remember what the vet said about the combination of medicines that I give them now, and we think she said that it might help stop the spread of the illness. Which remembering it now... it doesn't sound like that would help them much to begin with if it's only used to stop the spread of it. And what good is the medicine doing anyway, if both of them have an illness now? Ugh! I REALLY REALLY hope they have Enrofloxacin...

Enrofloxacin (Baytril) and Doxycycline work pretty well in combination for lung issues. You can give injectable Enrofloxacin orally, so that can cut down on the amount of drug to be given if the concentration is high (50 mg/ml). It does taste awful though. I mix up my rats' medications in a teaspoon, and then add enough mixed baby cereal to fill the teaspoon. Any more than that and they usually won't finish it.
I don't know if you've looked at this site yet, but it's a good resource for lots of information about rats, medications, illnesses, etc:
http://ratguide.com/

Baytril is the go-to antibiotic for many infections in rats and is widely available to vets in North America. And yes, after one week you should be seeing a difference.

I would wait to see some level of improvement in your rats before getting anyone new.

I just got home with new medicine tonight!

I got a refill of Doxy, and the other one is called Ciprofloxacin. The vet said it is a cousin of the Enrofloxacin and works about the same, but is cheaper, and in some cases works better than Enrofloxacin. Well, we'll see. I got it in peanut butter flavor. :p So tonight I will give them to Neddy, but won't give the Ciprofloxacin to Grif until tomorrow after their vet appointment. I guess they didn't have a charted weight on Grif even though they had weighed him before, I have to take them in tomorrow morning before work. Then I can give both rats both medicines. Then they have another vet appointment on Monday for a physical and to see if they are doing any better on the medicine because the vet said that they should be doing at least a bit better by then.

I'm just worried because I don't want to mess this up. The bottle says "give every 12 hours" instead of just "twice a day", so it seems more technical. Also one of the assistants said to give it to Neddy via syringe because if you mix it in anything, it's not guaranteed that he will eat all of it. But I'm wondering if that's not going to work, because whenever I was trying to give any meds via syringe to Neddy, he'll either spit it out or it will get all over his fur and he'll get more stressed. So I don't know... I thought I'd try it via syringe at first, and if it doesn't work, then try it in bread. And if that doesn't work, then I'd try it in other things. Problem is, they want to see him by Monday and between all this trial and error that I might potentially have to go through, he might not take any by the time I actually get him to see the vet. >_< Hahaha, so much to think about. Don't worry though, I'm just an over-thinker in general.

So I'm nervous about it... but we'll see how it goes! If you have anything to say, obviously you're more than welcome to say it! Any advice on this Ciprofloxacin, have any of you used it? Would you recommend giving it via syringe like suggested, or does instincts tell you that I should hide it in something even though the vet said not to? Thanks for all the advice and support, guys!! :D

Mmmm... Is there another rat savvy vet you could see for a second opinion? Cipro is not better... In fact it's not effective enough, although some people did see slight improvements with it.
As for getting new rats, I wouldn't risk it. Lung infections are highly contagious. Hold out until your little guys are feeling better.

If you have a drug that says twice a day, then you should try and give it every 12 hours anyway. It's just to make sure that the drug level in their system stays at an optimal level. It's pretty easy - I give my rats meds in the morning before work, around 7:30am, and then I try and give them their evening dose around the same time, 7-8 pm.
As far as mixing the drug in a food, you have to make sure the drug can be taken with food. Doxy shouldn't be mixed with calcium - so don't mix it with milk products/dairy. I just looked up Cipro, it is the same - don't give with dairy products. It can cause upset stomach, can take without regard to meals.
So, if you add the drugs to a small amount of food and you ensure they will eat it all, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you don't put the meds in too much food or they won't finish it. I mix my meds with baby cereal in a teaspoon. They seem to manage that amount just fine!

Alright, sorry for the delay with the response. The day before my vet visit I wrote a response but there was an error or something and it logged me out without posting... x_x

But with a few vet visits and medicine pick ups, this is what they are on right now. Doxy, Cipro, and Theophylline (the last, being the newest medicine). The vet actually wanted me to try this mist device thing where I'd put a cone on their mouth/nose area and make them breath in this mist for like 10 seconds. But as she was calling around for us to pick up medicine, she was informed that they've stopped doing that for rats, and instead I was supposed to give them Theophylline via syringe. Whew, 3 medicines kinda scare me, but I assume they're trying to make him better and if other meds aren't working, it's time to get tough with this illness.

I could always go to her and ask her about the Baytril thing again, it's just that she wanted to try out the cheaper medicine first so that if it worked, I could give it to them for the rest of their lives (especially Neddy because he's worse off). Also, this hospital sort of is my second option, since my visit with the first vet clinic ended up where the vet told me to change their bedding because she thought he was allergic. I didn't think he'd be allergic, I thought she was sort of just telling me what I wanted to hear or something. That's why I started going to this other clinic. And there are two vets there, and so far I've seen them both. I think they're both trying to treat my rats together in a way, because at first I was seeing one vet and now I have another one giving me medicines. Who knows. I just want my babies better... I'll see if this works (Neddy's being a pain in eating all of the medicine again, so he only recently has been eating all of it (I got some more baby food haha). So we'll see if it works soonish, I'll try to give it time before jumping to the conclusion that it doesn't work right away.

And that's just about all that's been happening recently. Just hoping and wishing for them to feel better, especially Neddy (as I don't hear Grif make his noise, only MAYBE once a day if at all). Thank you all for the advice, and if you can give me your take on this new medicine they're getting now, obviously you're more than welcome to. Thanks again! My babies and I appreciate it! :D

Back