Hi everyone!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alison

Hi everyone! I joined this forum a couple of weeks ago and have been meaning to introduce myself and my rats. We just got our very first rats about 6 weeks ago. Technically they belong to my daughter but she is only 4 years old, so in reality I am the primary rat caregiver or, as my daughter calls me, the 'rat poop maid'.

We got 2 females about 4 months old, Ariel and Hocapontas (my daughter named them...lol). We got them from a pet store (before I realized how risky that can be). They were from an accidental litter that had been brought in. Fortunately, they have been healthy (I had them vet checked), super friendly and there have been no surprise babies...phew!

So I have read a couple of rat care books, surfed various rat care websites and forums, of course. I want to do everything right for them...I am getting the Harlan blocks from MumsyRat next week and my next step is to get them a bigger cage.

Anyway, I am so glad to have this forum to help me!

Alison

Hi Alison, I'm so glad to have you with us at the Rat Shack!

How wonderful to have new rattie lovers! Your daughter is precious with her ratties!

Hi and welcome, Alison!

This is a really good place to learn about ratties. I've had pet rats for 19 years and I still learn things here.

Welcome to the Shack!! Love the photos. Your daughter is a real cutie, and she has quite the way with words for her age! Rat poop maid describes the situation rather well.... and as for the name Hocopontas! I think you're going to have an awful lot of fun with your lovely daughter. :lol:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. My daughter just loves these rats! And I have a cute story to share...

The other night we had the rats out running around. My daughter was crouched down and, not paying attention, she rose up and cracked the back of her head on a wooden chest. She's a pretty tough kid but this hurt, so she was wailing. I was searching the back of her head to see if there was a cut or any blood and little Ariel came bounding over and started sifting through my daughter's hair with me (both rats love her hair for some reason). Then Ariel went 'round to the side of my daughter's face, which was buried in a pillow still crying, and she licked at the tears.

Now I'm sure that this was all simply ratty curiosity but my daughter interpreted it as love and caring, that Ariel had helped make sure her head was OK and then had kissed away her tears. She said to me later, "Mummy, even though the rats are small, I think their hearts may be big."

Too cute!!! Ariel got some extra Cheerios that night.

That's a great story! Our little friends are sensitive to our feelings. She's right about the big hearts. :nod:

Back