Hey all ^^

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehiggins93

Hey there everyone

I'm Emillie ^-^
I'm an 18 year old rat lover, owner and college student who probably spends more time with her rats than with her human friends xD

I have three male rats: Phineas(4yrs), Floyd(3yrs) and Neo(3yrs). Phineas was one of my fist pair of rats and when his brother Ferb passed away he became depressed and so i went in search for cage mates and came back with Neo and Floyd, they lived quite fine with each other for a couple of months until Phineas got an inner ear infection and needed a separate cage for the medication in his water. With Phineas out of the picture Neo ( I call him the Omega rat xD) had put on weight and seemed healthier over all so Phineas is on his own again and appears to be perfectly ok with it now.

I stumbled across these forums in more of a blind panicked google search than intentionally looking for somewhere to discuss ratty things. My Christmas present at the end of last year was a three tier rat cage for Neo and Floyd, what i did not take into account about this cage was that it's floors are all metal wire... and of course, over the time they have been in this cage my ratties have developed paw problems, i took them out this morning for a cuddle and to do a sweep of their cage only to find that they both had calloused lumps on their hind paws. I freaked out completely and felt so guilty about not noticing sooner! (I've been undergoing course work and exams so the boys have not been out for cuddles as often) I thought they had developed cysts or tumours! It was then i came across a board on these forums outlining bumble foot which has helped me immensely as i now know what to do to help my boys without a trip to the vets who do not enjoy having to look at anything less then a cat. So i thank the forums for that, and of course for giving me somewhere to rant about rats (which i do a lot, don't know if you've noticed :3)

Anyway! Hello forums, be expecting to see more of me ^^

Hi and welcome....You will find many ideas for covering levels in rat cages...and lots of other rattie info...Look around. I hope to see some pics of your sweet boys...they sound very cute.

Hi & welcome to the rat shack! Love the names phineas & ferb! Happens to be a favorite cartoon around our house. :D
Can't wait to see pics of your boys! I i hope you get their bumblefoot taken care of quickly, and I would definitely look into getting something to put over the levels, even a towel or fleece would help. Perhaps you could try cutting up a dish drainer or coroplast sign from the dollar store & then put a fabric like fleece over it. Look around for pics & more ideas. :)

Thank you both for the welcomes :]
I sorted out the layers of the cage with pillow cases for now, they slide right on in just fine with a tea towel for padding.
... Phineas and Ferb is one kick ass show ;D

From the left: Floyd, Neo and Phineas.

:wel5:

Cute boys :heart:

Great idea for covering your levels.
I use dollar store dish drain trays cit to fit and cable tied on for small levels, and a thick piece of linolum (or cloroplast) cut to fit.
Lots of ideas on this forum if you look around. :thumbup:

Back