HELP!?!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilratsy43

I know everyone is going to say I need to go to the vet and have him checked out but I haven't worked in months, I don't think there is enough in my account to even go in for a check up.

A while back I posted about Rhys making funny breathing noises, ppl suggested using Doxy and I did and he seemed to be getting better but in the last week I have noticed he is losing weight, he just looks soo thin so I weighed him today. He used to weigh 625g now he's a mere 400g. His breathing is better, but I know he is going to take a turn for the worst and soon, I just don't know what to do. I would take him to the vet if I could scrap up enough to go but with the holidays coming up that is going to be really difficult...

Here's the list of meds I have...
Tetracycline
Doxy
SMZ-TMP PED Suspension
Aminophylline
Sulfamethoxazole & Trimethoprim
Metacam
Furosemide

How old is Rhys? If he is elderly a big weightloss like that could be symptoms of kidney failure.

However, if their respiratory problems are bad enough, it makes it hard for them to want to work on solid foods. Can you give him nice soft things like avacado, scrambled egg, cooked pasta? Watch his eating to see if he's getting enough food.

I personally would not hit him with the Aminopholline unless you were certain he didn't have a heart issue. Can you hold him up to your ear like you would a sea shell and listen to his lungs? If he sounds gurgly, wet or his breathing sounds like he's under water....you might try a short round of the lasix to see if it perks him up (a three day course will help you know).

If you don't have any baytril, doxy would be my next choice for respiratory. The others are not going to help with respiratory problems.

Rhys is about 9 months old, so he is still rather young. But he has been through a lot with an eye removal, a UTI, an abcess and now this!

He LOVES eating, he just eats and eats and eats! I will definately up the amount of food I am giving him though...

http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_ ... _sulfa.php
I am not fond of bactrim/septra for URI's since its not effective on myco itself, BUT it will attack the secondary infection, which may be what we are dealing with.

I would put him on the doxy and the bactrim combo, I think if its an infection this will give him a better chance at combatting it.

Give me the concentrations of both of those abs and a guesstimate on his weight?

jorats said:
How old is your liquid Bactrim? If it's over a month, it's no longer good.

I thought of that Jo, but in the pic the expiry is 2009!
I have never dealt with bactrim much myself, except in the very beginning when I knew very little :p

I believe I was given that after her surgery, so she must have weighed around the same as him. She was rather thin but definately around 400g...

After you guys told me my Baytril was expired, I went through all my meds and threw out the stuff that was no good!

Back