Help Rat May Be Pregnant

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ela

Hi all,

We just adopted two 6 week old girls from a breeder I've grown to trust (mistake), and her stomach has started to swell... it's quite squishy. We went to our vet and he said it may be too early to tell if she's pregnant but it's possible. She doesn't have any other symptoms of Megacolon, but that's not ruled out either. Do any of you have any clues what to look for, or if/when they start really showing? We have just been through the loss of one girl to PT, and mammary surgery for another and CANNOT handle babies. Apparently the breeder separated them at 5 weeks, but just casually told me on occasion they do end up pregnant after adoption. Good to know now. We've always adopted at 3+ months.

6 weeks and showing? seems quite unlikely. rats typically have a 3 week gestation, with pregnancy being visible and obvious at about the 2 week mark. That would mean your girl got pregnant at 4 weeks. Even 6 weeks is on the early end of being sexually mature. I would think that the breeder has given you incorrect ages, and she is truly closer in age to 8-12 weeks, or she is NOT pregnant.

I have to agree, it could just be that she's gaining weight since she's still growing and on good food with treats.

6 weeks and showing? seems quite unlikely. rats typically have a 3 week gestation, with pregnancy being visible and obvious at about the 2 week mark. That would mean your girl got pregnant at 4 weeks. Even 6 weeks is on the early end of being sexually mature. I would think that the breeder has given you incorrect ages, and she is truly closer in age to 8-12 weeks, or she is NOT pregnant.
She is now about 7 weeks (by "just" adopted I meant recently... like last Sat), and was removed from the males at 5 weeks. That's give or take a few days since I don't think the breeder is spot on w/ dates. Our vet confirmed it is indeed possible at that age, he was just so far unable to tell. Even the breeder confirmed it's def possible, even though it doesn't happen much. So we are at the 2 week mark, when she would start showing.

I have to agree, it could just be that she's gaining weight since she's still growing and on good food with treats.
We have her sister from the same litter, and she is gaining weight much more rapidly. So it's either mega colon, pregnancy (while uncommon at 5 weeks many sources and vet say is possible), or possibly she just gains more weight when she eats. But it's significant.

We have her sister from the same litter, and she is gaining weight much more rapidly. So it's either mega colon, pregnancy (while uncommon at 5 weeks many sources and vet say is possible), or possibly she just gains more weight when she eats. But it's significant.
Do you have pictures of her belly front on and side on? that would help

Do you have pictures of her belly front on and side on? that would help
There isn't much the photo would show that the vet wouldn't have been able to tell today. As he was saying it could be "pudge", early pregnancy, or the beginning of mega colon (tho unlikely without other symptoms). I was just posting to see if anyone had any tips on what to look for/ when they really start showing. Web search has been helpful, but if anyone has any hands on tips by experience it would be better.

Back