Help Please! My rattie won't take her meds.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanwellrats

Beatrice is on antibotics and I am having a bugger of a time to get her to take it. Her dosage is 1/10 of a pill twice a day. I've crushed the pill, and mixed it with yogurt and ensure and still can't get her to take it. I've wasted more than she's taken. The first couple of times wasn't really a problem, but now she just turns her head. I know it can't be all that bad, because all the other ratties are more than ready to take it if I'd let them.

I don't know if this will help but when my little rattie was on Baytril the first day mixing it treat by the second day it was an old novalty, the vet had given me little syringes and I just had to use that and kinda force feed after a few times he just relinquished himself to the idea and did not put up any fuss at all.... good luck

it helps if you wrap a towl around them so they can't wriggle around... I would play with my rattie for a couple mins before hand tossing the towel on his head he would wriggle out then I would just wrap him up in it put him on my lap so he was faced away from me and with thumb and index finger support his jaw and then insert the syring a little, making sure to hold him steady... a little medicine is better than none at all.. per the vet I gave the meds in smaller doses but more often to make sure he was getting the majority of it..

Try crushing the pill into dust with a pill crusher from the drug store, add 2 ml of distilled water, mix well and keep in a covered container (such as a pill bottle) in the fridge.
Then give her 0.2 ml of the liquid, mixed in with a tiny bit of baby cereal, a drop of strawberry quick, a drop of olive oil and a few drops of water.

And if she doesn't go for sweet, try savoury - mix it into a little bit of meat baby food. Or whatever her favorite veggie treat is (lots of rats love peas, carrots, and sweet potato), pureed.

Doxycycline is very bitter (same for Baytril), and some rats are very sensitive to bitter tastes, so you will want to add some sweetener even if you use something savoury to disguise the med taste.

Some ratties can be a real challenge in this regard. Somewhere there is a whole thread devoted to the topic. Forum members have devised ingenious ways of getting meds into ratties!

SQ has had success with taking the meds (mixed with something tasty) and wrapping it in a tiny piece of bread, then making a little ball. Most rats love bread.

My Caramel was skittish about any new food or meds at first. I finally found that she would take Doxycycline if I mixed it with some Lyle's Golden syrup (if you can't find it at a supermarket, Scoop n Save on Prospect Street is a good place to find it) and Strawberry Nesquick. The first couple of times I threw in a couple of peas to entice her, another time I put tiny pieces of cooked spaghettini. She is now OK with taking her meds. Another favourite med-disguiser for my rats is some mashed up banana with a bit of olive oil and something sweet & some baby cereal. I make up a few days' worth to keep in the frig for a quick addition to the meds.

Another hint: if you are compounding your own meds from crushed tablets, it helps to use something sweet for the liquid. I have been using Rice Dream, sometimes with a bit of Strawberry Nesquick added. I measure a suitable amount of this sweet liquid to add to the crushed medication.

Good luck!

Back