Help! New rat pregnant or fat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LittleSparrow: Thank you so much! I'll check out our local drug store tomorrow! I've been home sick with a stomach bug the last two days but with all the info it shouldn't be hard to do.

Abby3089: I know! I really shouldn't have gotten her from there D: I got my rat Gizzie from my friends rat babies, and she's been fine and lonely, I was going to find a breeder around here for her friend but while I was at our local pet store I saw Noa and she was so cute and seemed fine and healthy and I just kind of melted into getting her. That's what I'm doing for her lice at the moment, it seems to be working, she's stopped scratching so much and I can no longer see anything of course I'll still be doing it until it's safe and sound for sure. I'll keep a close eye on her till Friday(When i get payed) and then take her to the vet as soon as possible. I'm so sorry for the loss of your poor rattie ): I always try not to get too attached when I first get a new baby but I always end up falling in love before we know if anythings wrong with them! If I had the money I would pay for every ratties problems ): So sad, they never deserve it.

She doesn't seem bothered or in pain, she's started sleeping a lot but once you get her out or wake her up she's fine? I hope there's nothing too serious ): I haven't seen any prophyrin from her nose since the other day, however I am still able to hear her breath with an occasional nose whistle is still going on. Eating is normal and drinking is normal.

It doesn't look like her tummy is breaking up food very well, I went ahead and checked out some of the feces in her cage, and they all have giant pieces of food still in them?

It doesn't look like her tummy is breaking up food very well, I went ahead and checked out some of the feces in her cage, and they all have giant pieces of food still in them?

Check her teeth to make sure the incisors aren't overgrown. (It's pretty impossible to check the molars unless anaesthetized.)

If she is having a hard time digesting food, it could definitely be a sign of internal parasites. And a large infestation at that. If she has a parasite, she probably has tapeworm. It would explain her bloated belly, lethargy, and the inconsistent stools. Basically, tapeworm takes over the digestive system, feeding off of good intestinal bacteria, and food particles. It affects your rat's ability to absorb nutrients and digest food.

It sounds like this is a very real possibility. Lice and internal parasites are deadly on their own, let alone together. I really think she needs to go to the vet. At least to get tested to make sure something it sent wrecking her from the inside out. It sounds like an emergency, especially if she is sleeping a lot. Rats are prey animals so they are very good at hiding illness. Usually by the time they start acting really sick it's too late!

Intestinal parasites are much less likely than pregnancy, more so since you know she was in a tank with males. Skip the stool test unless you see worms, especially if money's a concern. Or wait until pregnancy watch is over and go to the vet for Ivermectin, it will work on the lice and any internal parasites. While there are incidences of internal parasites in rats (mostly pinworms) they are so rare you should rule out the more likely scenarios first.

You can order Revolution online and it's safe to use on pregnant/lactating rats. http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB..._Discussion/veterinary/000050/WC500068667.pdf It does take a couple of weeks to arrive unfortunately. (Ivermectin is not safe.) You can also try to see if any of your friends with a cat or dog has a tube they can sell you. Use the lowest effective dose, 6 mg/kg. If you need help calculating that, you can post her weight on the forum and tell us which type of Revolution you got and we'll help you out.

As hopefloats mentioned, amoxicillin is safe for pregnant or lactating rats. Azithromycin is as well and it's usually more effective.

Are her poops funny looking as well? I wonder if there's a possibility of megacolon or a digestive issue? Check her teeth to make sure they are all straight.

For the URI, you can use amoxicillin or zithromax and its safe for babies, OR just medicate with the non-ped friendly abs and try to save her.

The lice? I would dose her with Revolution...see if a friend has an extra tube in their cupboard or even post on a buy and sell online board like craigslist asking if anyone has one to sell. The lice can be dangerous in her condition, and your responsibility is to her health first and foremost.

Are you weighing her yet? I am weighing 3 girls for possible pregnancy in my Scarborough Rescue thread and I have the charts up there to show the weights and gains/losses if you want to take a peek?

Thanks guys! I was going to bring her to the vet today, but right now I am snowed in, and it's suppose to be a big snow storm? Her teeth are all straight, her bottom teeth are much longer than her top, I've given her some wooden chew toys.
I don't know what to do in the mean time ): I feel so sorry for her and I can't do anything because of the snow.
On the good side her lice are pretty much gone

If her teeth are over grown and she is having difficulty eating you need to give her soft food until you can get them cut down. However, you cannot wait long or she make break them off and they usually don't grow back and that is awhole new group of issues.

Thank you guys sooooo much! She is doing wonderful now! Turns out she was just having a bit of a myco flare up! Never asked the vet f she was pregnant or not! Will post updates on that c:

Latest posts

Back