Help! My baby escaped! .... FOUND HIM!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QueenBee

:sad3:
So yesterday my hubby (who has only recently started showing an interest in my rats) absolutely fell in LOVE with a little guy at a pet store... I wasn't too keen on the idea of buying him, but I gave in and we brought him home last night.
I wanted to keep him separate from my other guys since he's too little and I want to make sure he's not sick, so I figured a large travel cage I have would be a fine little house for him temporarily.
When my hubby went to work this morning (5:30am) he said good morning to the little guy, but when I woke up at 8am, he was gone! I found a spot in the cage where the half inch bar spacing was slightly bigger, so I know how he got out, but my problem now is finding a little guy who is terrified of everything.
Does anyone have any suggestions of where little ratties like to hide or how I could set up a little trap to hopefully catch him? I'm only in an apartment so there's not too much ground to cover but it's still very overwhelming and scary for me! I've been searching for a couple of hours already and no luck yet. :cry4:
I'm worried I won't find him until it's too late...

Don't panic. I was in your same shoes last fall when one of my boys escaped. For starters I would move your older rats up high if you can. Set up a cage on the floor and put a couple of cherrios in side the cage. Don't set out water. When he is hungry and thirsty he will come out. He may not come out until it gets dark (so this evening). It may take a couple days to find him hopefully not. Just be very careful where you sit and walk. Check laundry baskets and your dresser drawers. Under the couch and under the bed. May have to have your hubby help you with this. Above all remain calm.
Hopefully he will come out. Good luck

As eagle suggested, set up a cage for him, with a box or house for him to hide in, soft cloths for burrowing etc.
Put in a dish of food that can not easily be carried away such as mushy lab blocks or mixed up baby cereal, also a water bottle.
Put the cage in an easily accessible place. Put the cage with the other rats nearby as he may be attracted to other rats as he will be afraid and lonely.
Sprinkle flour on the flour around the cage so that you will see his footprints if he goes into the cage and see what direction he heads off in if he leaves it.

Hopefully, once it is dark and quiet he will soon find the cage, eat and snuggle down for a nap.
As Eagle said, it may take a few days. You will want to keep looking for him and try to make sure the environment is safe for him.

Hope he soon comes safely home.

Thanks SO much for your help... I've searched many of the places mentioned such as laundry baskets, under everything in the house, through cupboards, dressers, etc... no luck yet.
I've placed a cage where he can easily reach it on the floor against a wall, near my other boys (though he can't reach them), and I'm going to try putting flour around the place... that's a great idea!
I've also tried to recruit my dog to join the search since I figured his nose would help me out, but unfortunately since I've trained him to leave the rats alone he's not showing much interest. I do have a feeling that if we find him it will be the dog who actually scouts out his hiding spot!

QueenBee said:
Thanks SO much for your help... I've searched many of the places mentioned such as laundry baskets, under everything in the house, through cupboards, dressers, etc... no luck yet.
I've placed a cage where he can easily reach it on the floor against a wall, near my other boys (though he can't reach them), and I'm going to try putting flour around the place... that's a great idea!
I've also tried to recruit my dog to join the search since I figured his nose would help me out, but unfortunately since I've trained him to leave the rats alone he's not showing much interest. I do have a feeling that if we find him it will be the dog who actually scouts out his hiding spot!
Oh no, check behind things and along the walls, try and sit quiet and have no music or tv on and kind of watch for any movement or sound... all the other ideas are helpful as well...we had one get out only momentarily, as if my Dachshund would have gotten into the kitchen first, she would have been gone.

I am SO relieved!!!
Just as I finished my last post my dog started sniffing like mad behind the couch and there he was! I'd looked there already but living things do move haha.
Thank goodness for my pooch because without him I wouldn't have been able to corner the little guy to catch him either!
I am beyond happy right now!! :dance: :joy: :dance:

Yay! One of my baby mice got away from me a couple of weeks back and it was a terrifying half hour looking for him. :joy: :joy:

Back