HELP!! Limping rat!!! Ibuprofen??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattylover

So I woke up this morning and saw that Marco was limping like crazy. I was so worried, especially cause since something similar happened to other rattie and he passed away the night after(RIP Dusty :cry: ) I immediately took out all the levels and ramps, so that there was only one mesh platform which was covered with fleece and gave him his fleece hat, moved the littler box up, made his box accessible, etc...

Oh and also I cant see if his foot is swollen because he kind of tucks it in and I didnt want to try and pick him up and maybe hurt him and he doesnt let me touch anywhere near it all.

I read that you can give rats childrens ibuprofen(motrin) and I was wondering what the dosage would be.

Marco is about 515 grams. How much should he get?? Or is giving ibuprofen even a good idea??

Any other help would be appreciated!!

Pick him up (around the abdomen so you don't touch his foot) and look for swelling first.

Then if its there, go out and pick up INFANT liquid ibuprofen (Motrin or Advil), tell us the mg/ml and we will give you a dose for your baby.

The bottle says 100 mg in each 5 mL. We have the childrens type, will it make a differnce from the infants type?? If it is a big difference I can go pick up the other type.

How much does he weigh?

The infant type is a bit better just because it's more concentrated, so it's a lower amount you'd have to give him. But it's the same ingredients in the children's, just a lower concentration, therefore a higher dose.

Edit: Whoops, sorry, just saw you already gave his weight. His dose would be 0.26ml to 0.77ml (See why I prefer the infants? Less of a range. Heh.)

I'd give him 0.5ml, and book an appointment with your vet if you think there's something more seriously wrong. For sprains here, we rarely need to give medication, they usually clear up in a day or two. Darn ratties and their rowdy playing! Haha!

Yup, okay thanks soo much, all the other forums ive been on asking this question just arent really answering it. So thanks!! I'll keep it posted how he is in the morning!

Marco's foot looks less swollen today! Yay! Does that mean that I should continue giving him medicine since it seemed to work somewhat, or does it mean that since he is doing a little bit better I should not give him it??

Back