Help for that ratty smell?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own eleven rats, four girls and seven boys.

The boys are SO much more smelly then the girls, because they mark EVERYTHING and have their "man-smell". Therfore, i have to change their blankets daily to keep the smell down.

Moon said:
smalltowngirl said:
Okay , this is probably a stupid question but why don't the dogs just go outside to potty on their walks? I'm thinking the fresh dog poo/pee of 2 dogs would stink more than small rats.

Chihuahuas have different potty requirement from full sized dogs. Little bladders need emptying much more often.

Are they smart enough to litter train or something of that nature? I know nxt to nothing about little dogs, I prefer bigger breeds.

Weewee pads and litter are virtually the same really. The weewee pads seem to mostly absorb the pee smell, at least IMO. When they poop you obviously smell it for a bit but if its when I'm home I clean up the second they do it. I could use litter instead but I really don't think that would make much of a difference. And I do know the difference between the doggy smells and the ratty smells, and I really do think its the rat smell thats bothering her more, unfortunately. I'm trying to get my hands on a product thats supposed to be really good, so I'll let you know how much/if it helps when I get it!
Also I don't have fleece on their flooring right now, I just wipe it down very frequently. I think the Tupperware and ziploc is a good idea, I'll try and do that and change their hams every 2 days or something. Ugh I'm going to end up spending a fortune on laundry that way. Or I'll have to get/make some more hammocks.
And I've done the rental thing before, no worries. My last landlord made me come clean but he was really interested in them, and even when he came over on cage cleaning day he never complained about the odor :thumbup: Hopefully I can quickly find another great landlord. I just say I have a caged small pet, not I have 6 caged small pets in a giant cage :giggle:

Anita I'm a big dog person more too. Phoebe kind of just fell into my life and I felt bad and wanted her to have a playmate and now I have two and I can't figure out why I did it :laugh4: But I love em anyway.
Thanks guys.

I wonder if something like a diaper genie would be a good way to deal with dirty rat hammocks, hehehe.

Now I know rats have a smell. Especially the boys. I also know that the ratty smell doesn't bother me. But everyone else complains!
Right now I am living at my mothers until I find an apt and everyday she's saying she can smell the cage behind closed doors in my bedroom all the way when she walks in the front door:gaah:

Just a quick reply to say this: There´s a difference between "smell" and "stink". I think it´s unrealistic to believe (as your mom does) you can eliminate smells completely. Most animals, even if kept meticulously clean, smell, some more (wet dog anyone?) some less. Caged animals doubly so. It´s something you (and the people living with you) have to accept if you get an animal

Okay, I understand I'm living at my mothers isn't the ideal situation, trust me I don't want to be there but its temporary as I stated numerous times. I'm currently looking for an apt. I feel like so many people are jumping to conclusions about my situation and assuming that I shouldn't have rats because someone is complaining...?
I started owning rats when I DID live at home so obviously she accepted me having them as pets. But also as someone who isn't a rat fanatic I can understand her not loving the smell that I know they do have.
I never said that she expected me to eliminate all smells but there are steps that can be taken to help alleviate the amount that the smell is noticed. That was all I was looking for, as stated, products and ideas to help.

So thanks to those with suggestions! :)

A couple of suggestions that I think might help.

1.) I'd put a small fan in your window blowing the air out. Hopefully getting the air circulating, particularly blowing the smelly air out, might make a difference.
2.) Febreeze makes a little carbon air filter with an on/off switch, I think they are approx $15 at Walmart. It's essentially a tiny little fan pulling air through a filter, about 6-8 inches. I'd put it just outside your room giving your mom control of when to switch it on. Having some control over the real (or perceived) odour in her home might make her feel better.

Hope you get things sorted out.

Stace

Moon said:
smalltowngirl said:
Okay , this is probably a stupid question but why don't the dogs just go outside to potty on their walks? I'm thinking the fresh dog poo/pee of 2 dogs would stink more than small rats.

Chihuahuas have different potty requirement from full sized dogs. Little bladders need emptying much more often.

this is SO true, my puppers have pee pads in the house too. Small dogs need to 'go' more often than bigger ones it seems.

I see that someone mentioned an air purifier earlier and I just thought I'd re-mention it.
If you'll be spending quite a bit of money on buying odour eliminating products and doing laundry all the time, it might be a good idea to think about an air purifier instead.
They really work wonders. I got just a small one from Wal-Mart for about $50 and it's in my living room (which is probably the size of your bedroom at your mom's by the sound of things. lol). The ratties breathe better, I breathe better and there's WAY less smell from the cage.
The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a little noisy when I'm trying to watch tv. lol ;)

First thing I do is litter train them. This alone elimates alot of the smell. Litter training is easy enough. I just put 2 or 3 poops from each rattie in the litter pan (uncovered) and they seem to catch on fairly quickly. I also buy a very fine litter with baking soda in it. Next I line my hammocks with old materials. (This was my husbands idea and it works great) I cut up all clothes that are worn out or out grown, and toss them in. Ratties love it! They chew, re-arrange, walk in and out of, make pillows for their little heads and in the cold weather, they cover them selves like there blankets. When stinky, I toss them out. No washing, no stink. You can also leave the hammocks in longer, cause the pee soaks into the clothing. I cut up everythink soft, even old socks! (By the way, socks are great after surgery. Cut 3 little holes in the toe area and you have an instant dress. Sometimes hard for walking, but they do the trick for the first couple days when healing is most important. I find you have to pick out "wandering poo's" every day. Not an easy fix, but every little thing helps.

Back