Help for a ratty boy with a penis problem (cross post)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I saw a post on another forum. Because it's Christmas Day, there aren't many people around and her post was not answered. I've never had boys, so I am no help. I asked her if she wanted me to crosspost this to some other forums and she agreed.

Maybe some of you experienced ratty owners could have a look at her photo and come up with suggestions. I hope that she can find a vet soon.

This is a pic of my poor Remy Or his penis anyway...:
Rattie%20Boys

What do I do?

I put some Neosporin on it, and put him on a clean sheet for the night. I'm changing it every hour or two

We can't see the picture :( can you try again or maybe save the pic and post it here? or perhaps describe what is happening?

or is it this picture?
remys_peepee.jpg

That doesn't look like a penis plug but it does look somewhat painful. I'd get a bit of vaseline on it and slightly massage it back into it's sheath.

It looks like paraphimosis.

http://ratguide.com/health/reproductive ... imosis.php

#
Treatment
The main goal of each method is to return the penis to its naturally occurring position inside the preputial cavity (sheath). If recognized early, before pain and severe edema develop, paraphimosis can be resolved easily with non invasive treatment

Noninvasive treatment methods
# Apply antibiotic ointment to the penis to help with gentle manual reinsertion, prevent tissue from drying out, and help control infection.
# Manual insertion may be accomplished by gently extruding the penis further out, lubricating the shaft, and gently pushing it back into the preputial cavity.
# Reduction of swelling to allow the penis to naturally slide back in.

To reduce swelling you can:
# Sprinkle fine granulated sugar on the penis and surrounding area (Gradient osmosis).
# Apply a small wrapped ice pack to the penis for short intervals.
# Apply a steroidal cream.

Thanks! Someone on Rats Rule has posted that link, too. I was unable to get back onto a computer until recently, but I did pass on the info. It doesn't look like the rat's owner has logged in recently, but I hope that she does soon. The poor little ratty must be in pain for sure.

This was the last I had heard until just now:

"I called the vet at home, and he said to soak it in lukewarm water, and dry it off very well. Then apply some neosporin and start giving him some of the oral antibiotic .1cc BID that he gave me before.
It went down considerably, but is still out and is the same colors. It looks almost normal, except for the colors. There is no plug, although there was a wet white substance I think was pus by it. When I washed it off with soapy water and soaked it last night it seemed to go away. It still looks raw and red though. I'm taking him in tomorrow.

Thank you for all of your help, in the midst of the holidays. That is why you guys are the greatest. Ever!"

Then she took him to the vet on Thursday pm:
When the vet saw him, he was severely dehydrated. He gave him fluids sub-q, and a shot. He also told me to continue with the antibiotics, and maybe some pedia-lyte thru a syringe if he does not start drinking. Poor guy.
He stayed on my shoulder for about 2 hours after the vet. He feels safe and warm there. Smile He really didnt move, probably still in pain. I put him back in his cage, after I cleaned it, and he is snuggled up.

His treatment, unfortunately, came too late: She posted again on Friday:

"Remys last breath was on my chest at about 1am. Two small plugs came out after he died. (they were big for him, he was only 8 weeks). I could not get to them, as his privates were very red and purple."

I feel very sad about this. I hope that everyone with males will be alerted to the seriousness of this condition, even though it doesn't happen often.[/quote]

This rat was only 8 weeks old? I never knew this could happen with such a young rat. How very sad but good to know that we need to keep an eye on this.

He had an infection built up it would seem, which then caused his penis to come out and swell up like that. The plugs that came after his passing may have very well of been dried pus from the infection. It may have originated with the paraphimosis, but since it was out for so long the infection may have set in. Although depending on how ill he was previously, he may not have been grooming and a plug then developed. 8 weeks is rather young for plugs, though.

Poor lil guy..

Back