help figuring baytril (pill form) dose

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henry's_mum

I need help figuring out a dose of Baytril for Henry incase he needs it. He really isn't being himself...
not sure if it's the ego, or he's really hurt...

anyway, the Baytril 150mg pill form, and Henry wieghs 540g
how do I mix it?
I'm new, I need ALL the steps...

:oops:

Dosage is 10 mg baytril per 454.4 g of rat, twice a day

Which would be 11.9 mg twice a day for Henry.

You would want to get a pill crusher (drug store) and crush the pill, or get a pill cutter (drug store), cut the pill in half and crush half the pill. Then you would add distilled water to make a solution.
........................................................................................................

edit: I haven't done this with baytril as I always get a liquid from the vet.
Removed my instructions re. making up a solution since you already have that info.

Holly, is that a typo? Recommended dose of 10 mg/lb?

Most sites have it listed as 5-10 mg/KG at your dosage it would convert to 22 mg/kg which is a lot.

I did find this...

Per Rat Health Care by Debbie Ducommun:”Best reserved for older animals and more severe infection”, Baytril 10mg/lb (20 mg/kg) , PO or SQ , BID 3

I personally would crush the 150 mg pill and add 3 ml's of solution (I use half and half water and strawberry quik). That leaves you with 50 mg/ml baytril

a 540 gram rat would get .11 cc twice a day :)

Not a typo as I use Rat Health Care by Debbie Ducommun and she says 10 mg/Ib

The health care books I have do not say that baytril is ”Best reserved for older animals and more severe infection”.
The baytril dosage she recommends is 10 mg/Ib.

No, thats not what I meant, that the higher recommeded dosage of 20 mg/kg is for those particular rats.

This was from ratguide...

Dosage Recommendations
*Note: If choosing to use Baytril 10%, keep in mind it has a concentration of 100 mg per 1 mL. Also, because the 10% concentration can be so caustic to tissue it must be diluted for all routes.

5 mg/kg to 10 mg/kg , PO , IM , q12hrs 1 26; anywhere from 5 to 30 days (injectable form may be given orally). May be combined with doxycycline for treatment of mycoplasma. 26

or

5 mg/lb , PO , BID (as recommended on RMCA Drug Chart) 4
or
Baytril 2.27% =.20 mL/lb 14 to 30 days (as recommended on RMCA Drug Chart) 4

or

2.5 mg/kg to 10 mg/kg , PO , q12hrs 2

or

Per Rat Health Care by Debbie Ducommun:”Best reserved for older animals and more severe infection”, Baytril 10mg/lb (20 mg/kg) , PO or SQ , BID 3

or

The following dosage guideline, for use of enrofloxacin in rats with serious respiratory infection suspected to have Mycoplasma as the pathogen, is recommended by Dr. Michael Hutchinson, DVM; Animal General, Cranberry Township, PA. 18 , and is based on his experience treating rats and current literature:

15 mg/kg, PO (oral), BID ,for 10 to 30 days: directly related to severity of illness.

Treatment is initiated early, and aggressively, starting with 15 mg/kg for 10 days followed by assessment of the rat’s progress, and may be continued at that dose based on veterinary discretion.
For repeated URI (upper respiratory infection)unresponsive to enrofloxacin alone or when serious to advanced lung infection is present, treatment regimen incorporating enrofloxacin (Baytril) 15 mg/kg , PO , BID ,along with doxycycline, nebulized agents ( gentocin and albuterol), and dexamethasone can be initiated. For information on Dr.Hutchinson’s treatment regimen see articles: Mycoplasma or Pneumonia in the Health section of the Rat Guide.

Back