Help...could Toby have mites? *updated* with pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey

So over the past couple of weeks I noticed Toby has a reddish tint to the fur on the back of his neck.
At first I thought maybe his color was changing as he got older, but it is only on the back of his neck and has not changed really.
It does not seem to bother him.
He does not seem itchy, that I have noticed,
but I was reading a post on another forum and someone said their rat had mites and a bloody tinge on teh back of their neck from it...
Which I had not considered, but then it does sound kind of like what Toby has on his neck?
It is kind of a light burgundy color.
When I scratch him there he goes all dreamy and closes his eyes.
So I am not sure now if he is itchy or just likes it anyway or maybe both?

But where would they have come from, since I have had him and Miles for 3 months and the new boys for 2 and they all came from the same breeder? Do they just sometimes carry them and then they can flair up?

I read about revolution and thought if it is not dangerous I could just treat everyone to be safe?
and if it is ok, what kind do I buy (cat, dog, kitten, puppy?) and also how much do I put on each boy?

Some light coloured rats get poryphorin staining on the back of their necks because of how they clean themselves. My Melody gets this sometimes, she's a Himi.

If it was mites he'd have definite scabs on his shoulders, and you would probably notice him being quite itchy.

From the sound of things I wouldn't worry about it right now, but you may want to post a pic to get other opinions. It sounds like he just likes being scritched there, too.. cutie.

As for where mites come from, I think they're most often brought in by new rats (as you've cleared as an option) or wood products or shavings.

I have also heard that some rats rust as they age. So they get like a red tinge to there fur, I'm wondering if maybe that is whats happening to your boy...

moon said:
Some light coloured rats get poryphorin staining on the back of their necks because of how they clean themselves. My Melody gets this sometimes, she's a Himi.
My Schmeezies and Himi get this too. I always just assumed it was porphyrin staining too ... or as a result of being on the bottom of the rattie pile and getting ... ummm ... "marinated." :giggle:

How old is your little guy and also, what colour is he? Is the tint on the fur or on the skin?
If he had mites, you would first notice scabs on his face, neck, shoulders. If it's just a tint on the fur, I wouldn't think mites.

I searched Toby... he's almost 4 months old and he looks to be a russian blue.
At his age, the fur colour do rust and take on a new tint as they molt but that can change again as he gets older and go back to his russian blue.
The red from porphyrin happens usually on older rats, those that are sick or those that hardly groom themselves, not on young bucks. Usually only noticeable on pews, himis and siamese.
If it is the skin that is red, check for scabs, that will indicate mites.

Hi guys thanks for all the input.
Yes that is my Toby almost 4 months and Russian blue.

I looked all in his fur and do not see any scabs or scrapes.
It looks mostly like the tips of his hair are faintly burgundy,
it does not appear to go down to the roots and it is mostly on the fur
on the back of his neck and a little on his shoulders.

He seems to be a young healthy boy and not itchy at all.
He grooms himself well, but is not overly obsessed with it (like his brother Miles :wink2: )
I have not noticed porphyrin on his face anywhere.
Both his nose and eyes are clear.

Here are a couple pics from tonight. I have two in diff. lighting,
since I was not sure how well it would show up...

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

The reason I don't think it's rusting is because it's usually in a pattern, I've never seen it like that but it's quite possible. :thumbup:

well I guess it is probably porphyrin, because it does wash off...
Do you think it means anything? and how did it get there?
He does not have any on his eyes or nose and no where else on his body,
just the back of his neck and shoulders a little.

He has been acting fine and such a wonderfully sweet boy.
Do you think this is something I need to take him to the vet about?

He must of had some porphyrin and when grooming it off, it moved towards the back of his head. If you watch them groom, that's what they do.
He is rather young to have that already but keep an eye on him, if there are no other symptoms, I wouldn't see a vet just yet. Keep listening to his lungs, make sure it's sounds clear at all times.

Thanks Jo. I will definitely keep an eye on him.
But so far he has had no breathing/sneezing issues at all, that I can detect anyway...

Back