HELP,BOO LOST A TOOTH. Weight LOSS.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexandraBoo

Clark came over to help me clip boos teeth, because they were too long, and they were crooked, after a long battle trying to hold him down, it had to be done, he wasnt eating, and losing alot of weight, Clark accidently cutt off his whole tooth on one side!!!
So he has crooked bottom ones, and one long top one.
I dont know what to do... Any advice?
I have been feeding him soft foods, and clark said they will grow back in a week. He also has a foul smell in his mouth, I checked his mouth, i see nothing, and he is acting tottally fine, hes acting the healthiest he has ever in his life.
Im so confused.

The top one still needs to be trimmed down if it's too long. In fact I would be inclined to cut it even shorter than usual until the other one catches up.

Soft foods really is the only way to go for now & let's hope the tooth does grow back. You can soak rat blocks in water so they're nice and mushy. He still needs them to get his proper nutrition. Baby food, baby cereal/pablum, bananas, over cooked veggies should all work.

You might want to give Boo a drop of metacam also, in case he has a tooth ache!

Good luck!

He isnt in pain, he is running around like a beast.
The other one, clark claims to be not to long. but we had such a hard time trimming the accidentle one, im not sure if we should try to do the other one, in case he slips and cutts it off to short, or catches his tongue.
He used dog nail clippers.

My Nessie broke one of her top teeth, this was over 2 weeks ago and it has not grown back yet so I have to watch the other three. Once in awhile I cut the bottom one because it goes too long since one of the top one is really short.
They can still eat blocks though so don't worry too much about the soft foods.
My Jasper's top teeth grow so fast, I have to keep trimming them but he did break one the other day and it grew back fast, it's just a matter of watching them and trimming when it needs it.
Lilspaz's vet does the teeth trimming the best with a bit of gas and simply filing them down. Unfortunately, these tools aren't available to us and I bet most vets don't do it that way either so we end up cracking or breaking teeth while trying to trim. Even my vet broke Jasper's top tooth in an attempt at trimming them. It happens but it's not the worst thing that can happen.
The fact that he's active and happy is a really good thing. As for the weight loss, I'd try giving him high fat low protein foods like olive oil in his baby food.

If the tooth was just cut low, then you're right, there's no need for anything since they don't have nerves in their teeth. However, he sounds like he's one of those rats that needs to be sedated in order to have their teeth trimmed as it's too stressful for them (and, from what resulted of this, it sounds like he put up quite the struggle and it's too hard to clip them properly like that), so for this boy I would go to a vet from now on. Don't try to do the other one yourself. With one tooth he can still eat solid food, so don't risk it and get it done properly.

If he's having that much trouble eating in general, you might need to start making soft food for him regularly, despite tooth trimming. My two hairless boys got to the point where their teeth were so bad and growing so rapidly that I had to put them on a soft food diet. For a while I couldn't do the completely insane homeade diets (you know, all the bells and whistles - they eat better than I do xD) so I ended up grinding up their lab blocks with a mortar and pestle, watering it down a bit + a tiny bit of baby food. If veggies are too hard for him to eat too, you can mash them up and add them as well.

I have been mashing up some food, rice, pumpkin pie filling, carrots, and alot of other veggies.
I did wet down the blocks and made them mushy. He seems happy and content, and I do see him eating.

The little bit of weight loss has bothered me.
Also he put up a huge fight, to the point were i diddnt want to hold him, because he was struggling so hard i thought i was going to hurt him.
Clark told me to hold him tight tight tight, but i knew he was hurting himself trying to get loose.
I was very very upset, i cried i was so stressed.
I just diddnt want tohurt my baby.

Don't worry. :cuddle: Things happen, and like I said, there are no nerves, so he may have been stressed, but he's not hurt. He'll be ok.

Years ago my sister and I were cleaning my dwarf hamsters' cage. We were SO careful in replacing it, SPECIFICALLY paying attention to NOT do the very thing that happened... and poor little Tomatoes got his head pinched. I was so upset, I thought he stopped breathing. He was ok, but it killed me knowing it was my fault and I just couldn't stop crying.

Animals forgive us so easily..

AlexandraBoo said:
.....He also has a foul smell in his mouth, I checked his mouth, i see nothing,...
This is what worries me, I wonder if he has some gum problem or infection (maybe something that made his teeth grow crooked in the 1st place if they haven't always done that) and should be on antibiotics?

I recently cut one of Toufir's front teeth to short - she moved and the tooth snaped off at the gum line. It bled quite a bit.
I put her on antibiotics in case if infection. If Boo's mouth smells, he may need strong antibiotics asap I would have a knowlegable vet check him out asap .... gum infections can be very serious .... If he does have an infection, he may have had it for awhile.

I feed Toufir mushy lab blocks, as jorats said, you can add a bit of olive oil to lab blocks or baby cereal.

Is Boo too thin, or was he an overweight boy that lost a lot of weight?
If he isn't too thin, I wouldn't worry about fattening him up.
You know why he lost the weight (couldn't eat) and since he is now eating well he will be ok.

He was a chubby boy, now he is a normal weight,
His tooth never bled.
I have him on anti-biotics as we speak.
His teeth werent crooked, the lenghs of his teethwere different. One
was longer than the other, on the top and bottom. Im assuming he ate his blocks from one side, and it just wore one side down more?

AlexandraBoo said:
I have been mashing up some food, rice, pumpkin pie filling, carrots, and alot of other veggies.
Alex, by pumpkin pie filling, I'm assuming you mean just plain, pureed, canned pumpkin, right? Not the spiced pumpkin pie filling? Question - did you find it gave Boo loose stools? Anyone else find that feeding squash or pumpkin gave their ratties Dairy Queen style soft serve poops?

The plain stuff, without all the added spices and sugar might be a healthier choice. Whenever I give butternut squash to my younger guys tends it tends to give them loose stools . . . I was wondering if pumpkin did the same thing to Boo as they're in the same vegetable family. Maybe I'll try the pumpkin instead of the squash. :roll:

Pumpkin with the spices is good for them, the spices help keep there fur shiny, and the little bit of sugar is good for him as an energy boost.
It diddnt give him any wet poops, he has pooped normmal...

I really don't think pumpkin pie filling is good for rats. Unless of course he was lethargic and you were trying to give him a bit more energy. But on a normal day to day routine, I wouldn't feed it.

I brought boo to the vet, she told me that the spices in it are wonderful for their fur, snd the pumpkin and sugars are good for him energy wise. also the vert checked him, he has a heart condition, i now i have him on meds, and anti biotics......he is healthy and happier than ever

What did your vet say about his teeth?

And sugar is NOT good for rats on a regular basis...low salt, low fat, low sugar is HOW Jorats has rats that live past 3...

She made me another appointment in a month, to check up on his teeth, she thinks they will grow back, he has one top inciser and both bottoms....
I do not give him sugar all the time, just when he was low energy, and pumpkin pie is not gunna kill him once or twice.
Some people feed their rats chocolate. They are on a low salt diet, and i dont feed them any sweets, just pumpkin pie twice to boo.

Back