HELP: Bloody bum

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lj

So one of my new guys has been bleeding out of his anus (I think). He was lying in the hammock earlier today and has not been as active as his cagemate since I got him a few days ago. So I just went up and rechecked on him and the hammock that he was lying in was saturated in blood. I'm not sure if it's coming out of his anus or his urethra, but I'm pretty sure it's his bum. I noticed a lump between his penis and his anus (on the inside) and felt around and it almost seems as if his testicles haven't dropped down. He's about 6 months old. Oh man....Constipation? Not sure.

I've got him in a blanket and he's wrapped up and not moving very much. I think I'm going to give him some medicam just in case he's in pain.

I'm going to get him to the vet tomorrow morning. The emergency vet here is horrible, so we'll get into our rat vet first thing in the morning. When it rains, it pours.

Has anyone else encountered something like this? I feel so bad because he seems so sad right now. :( Poor little guy. Hope things go okay tomorrow.

EDIT: It is coming out of his urethra, not his anus. So we are probably dealing with a UTI?? I'll give Baytril as well.

Don't give him anymore metacam, this can promote more bleeding.
Baytril is good for now. You might want to force feed him if he's still lethargic, Ensure and also try Gatorade or Pedialyte. Keep him warm too. Poor little guy...

lj, how's your baby? I'm saying a prayer for him that it''s as simple as some meds to make it all better forever.

Back