Help! Biting rats! New Problem

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NezumiNeko

I got my rats back yesterday. I literally haven't seen 'em in 3 months, and the person who was watching them gave them very little attention, fed them the wrong food, and probably fed them through the bars of the cage. I get my rats back, and they're shy and skittish, but they seem to have some memories of me. (I had them for 3 months before they were gone for 3 months.) They seemed to be settling in, last night Onigiri was grooming me, and they enjoyed being scratched. Before I fed them, Yuki bit me hard, but I assumed it was because she was hungry and thought I had food. (They usually have an everlasting supply, but the cage had just been cleaned.) I added some fleece stuff to the cage this morning, and the rats were being curious and sniffing my hand when I was hanging stuff in a very innocent way. It tickeled :joy: ! Just a few minutes ago, I went up to take them out, and they were cuddling in a tube. I tried to coax them out, And I managed to get get Onigiri to come partway out, a she was sniffing my finger, and then BAM! She bit me, hard. My rats never bit before this, unless of course they nibbled my finger because they thought it was food. But I really want to get my sweet ratties back, how can I re-socialize them? I want my rats back! :sad3:

Update 9/8- When I put my hand in the cage, my rats seem really curious about it, and sniff it a lot. However, they also bite it, as if they're really curious about it, and just don't get it. It doesn't hurt, it's just like a little pinch, but they insist on doing it. They seem really freaked out when I touch them, and hate being picked up in the cage. Once they're out of the cage, they're extremely friendly, but to get them out, I take a party hat (I have a bunch, the cheap colourful ones.) and they climb into it, and from there I take them out of the hat, and the ride my shoulder, even rub up against my cheek. And when I took them out the other day, after running around, they climbed into my lap. Now they ignore the hat. But they're really weird in the cage. I can pick them up, but they squeak. I'm pretty sure they're just territorial, but no matter how much they sniff my hand or take food from me (they don't bite because of food, if I hold out an undesirable piece of food, they ignore it, and go for my hand.) they still don't trust me. :gaah: What can I do?

I imagine they're a bit scared and confused right now. Be patient and give them a little time to get settled back in. Talk to them gently and let them come to you. I'm sure it won't be long before they're back to their old loving selves again. :cuddle:

I would think stress too. They may need some time to get used to being back with their mom.
When she bites, is it right down and bleeding?

Yuki bit through the skin, but Onigiri's hurt more and didn't bleed, it's almost healed up actually. They both seemed aggressive, and certainly weren't love nips. They're definitely getting along with each other, though. They're constantly cuddling.

Were they without food at the sitter's? You'll have to give them time to get to know you and their surroundings again. Good luck.

The rats have really calmed down, they just sniff my finger, and if they think I might have food, they lightly bite it. They're really sweet out of the cage, and love ear rubs!

I'm glad they're calming down now. Sounds like you had to go through trust training again. Are they still showing cage aggression?
It sounded like they had to depend on each other for company while you were gone. Poor things.

I deal with a biting rat too since Leela had crappy owners who kept her alone in a cage, completely unsocialized, and with a mysterious missing eye.

Whew, she can bite something fierce!

It took 4 or 5 months of trust training, wearing gloves, and a whole lot of patience until she started to come around.

Still not very social, but she doesn't bite anymore... just curious nips.

However, she can't socialize with my other ratties. :sad3:

But yes, patience and trust training will turn those rats around! :joy:

They're not really agressive anymore, they're really getting better. They still aren't insanely friendly, but I think they trust me, and have calmed down greatly.

My rats are a little frightened by me, but do not bite. However, this morning Yuki had some porphyrin on her nose? Do you think this is just from stress, or is she sick, I don't see any other symptoms.

Back