Hello!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intet

My name is Pia, I'm a 22 year old girl living outside Oslo, Norway. :D
At the moment I have 16 rats, 5 bucks - Edgard, Lillebror, Ico, Minken and Trym (Edgard and Lillebror are neutered) and 11 does - Fortune, Xanthippe, AloeVera, Rynke, Ash, Sapphira, Slikkepott, Wind River Shoshoni, Anubis, Chinook and Sopwith Baby. :nod: The oldest is Edgard, 30 months and the youngest is little Trym, 9 weeks. :)

9 of my rats are imported from Denmark and Minken is from Sweden.

I run the rattery Intets Rotter (means Intets Rats) and I'm expecting my first litter in July.
My earlier litters has not been a reality of various reasons - Hope it will be better this time.
I truly love my rats, and it's great to see so many people with the same interest and passion! :heart:

I'm about to graduate from college (maths, physics, chemistry and biology), and my future plans are to study veterinary medicine or human medicine abroad in Poland, the Czech Republic or Hungary. :thumbup:

My homepage (only in Norwegian at the moment :oops: )
http://www.intetsrotter.dk

jorats said:
That's so great becoming a vet. Will you specialize in small animals and rats?

Yes, I would definitely like to specialize in rats! Vets in Norways doesn't know that much about rats. :(
Often rat owners have to ask each other regarding medicine dosages, treatments, advice etc. to make sure the vets got it right. :cry:
Because of that, I'm always nervous to see the vet. Afraid of wrong diagnosis/medicine dosages ++

I've also had one rat, Xiomara, who was suffering from pyoderma. She looked awful, and I almost had to put her to sleep because of her injuries. I tried 5 different vets - no one could help us.
I did some research on my own, found out that her wounds looked similular to pyoderma, and got in touch with a vet who worked with lab rats. He gave me a prescription for Fuciderm gel, and after one week her skin were healed.

Conclusion: Norwegian vets should know more about rats than they do... Most of them are specialized on dogs, cats, etc. :(

Well, I think rats are more popular in other countries than Norway. I'm not sure how to compare, though..
But there's not a lot of rat communites and the basic overall knowledge about rats is poor. We've got one forum like this one, and very few breeders. It seems like rats are getting more "accepted" as pets since the movies Ratatouille and the norwegian "Svein & Rotta" (Svein and the rat), but at the same time I think it's important for rat newbies to get the right information about habitat, general care etc. :nod:

:welcome: Pia!

How wonderful that you may be studying to become a vet! :D I'm currently on a five year course to become a veternarian as well.

So far, so good, but a little tiring. :D

Most likely I am going to specilize in rats and other exotics, but there is a very slight chance I may not.

Welcome to the Shack Pia :thumbup: It's great that you are going to be a rat vet, even over here, the really good ones are hard to find :D

Back