Hello!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:new:

Hello everyone! My name is Amanda and I am mammy to four lovely wee girls whose names are: Jasmine, JJ, Sasha and Bree. My partner and I adopted them about three weeks ago.

It has definitely been a learning experience for us. In the short time they have been here, each one of the poor wee girls have come down with a chest infection. Two visits to the vet later and they have all been prescribed Baytril. I had no idea how difficult it could be to administer medication! I feel like the cruelest person ever when I have to give them the medication. :sad4: I had a taste of it myself and it is nasty stuff. But on the plus side they are sounding and looking much better. :thumbup:

:wel5:

You can mix the baytril after measuring out the amount, so that it tastes better.
I measure out meds into a tiny dish, add a drop or two of strawberry nesquic, a couple of drops of water, a bit of baby cereal (kind that says add milk) to thicken it, and stir. My rats think it is a wonderful treat.

SQ said:
:wel5:

You can mix the baytril after measuring out the amount, so that it tastes better.
I measure out meds into a tiny dish, add a drop or two of strawberry nesquic, a couple of drops of water, a bit of baby cereal (kind that says add milk) to thicken it, and stir. My rats think it is a wonderful treat.

Hi SQ. Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried mixing it with Ellas Organic Baby Pureed Apple and Banana and the Pureed Apple. They turned their noses up at both. So then I tried to mix it with the Malt Nutrient Paste and again they were onto me. Their favourite food is broccoli but I couldn't see how I could disguise the meds in that. So it was back to fighting with the syringe.

Can you tell me this, if the med sometimes gets on their fur rather than in their mouths and they clean their fur afterwards, is this okay? I worry about this as I'm afraid of overdosing them if I give another dose to them in their mouths.

It's so much easier with the dogs. Hide it in a piece of cheese or chicken and bobs your uncle. The girls are way too clever to be fooled I think.

dspch911 said:
Welcome - hope your babies get better :heart:

Thank you. Sasha and Jasmine are sneezing less than they were, Bree has occasional wheezes and JJ seems to be the only one who appears clear. Bless her wee heart. When Sasha and Jasmine developed a cough last week I did not sleep for two nights.

Welcome! If you haven't found something to hide the yucky Baytril in already, try something novel with a strong smell/flavor. Maybe put a few drops of tuna juice on the bread ball?
Hope it helps.

Thanks ever so much everyone. The girls have had their 10 days of baytril but are still sneezing occasionally. Not sure if I should go back to the vet and get some more. What do you think?

UPDATE: I've decided to get in touch with the vet in the morning and ask her advice. Poor wee things are quite snuffly and I am concerned. I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for your kind words and advice everyone.

Latest posts

Back