Hello there

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaoOfThePaw

Glad to be a part of The Shack :) I am a Trainer & Consultant for Companion animals, mainly Cats, dogs, rats (soon to come), and ferrets. I am just getting my business going, and have a move to deal with shortly.
I've joined for two reasons. One, last weekend I ended up taking in a litter of wild babies. It's a long story, but momma didn't come back for some reason (they usually do :? ) That bummed me out, because that's obviously the best possible outcome for them. However, after a good four to six hours, I couldn't couldn't stand it any longer as they would be hungry, dehydrated, and chilly. It's a good thing its middle of summer or they'd have died quickly. I got to work. There is one left. All in one day the others crashed. It was a very rough day. I've named the survivor Nimh. I know, a cliche, but it IS one of my all time favorite cartoons, and rats are one of my favorite animals.
I've had rats in the past, and I've always adored them, and have anxiously awaited the day when its a good idea to have them again. This is a wee bit premature, and I may not be able to keep Nimh due to circumstances beyond my control. BUt if I can, I will. Currently covering my bases by looking for another close to his age so he isn't alone.
I miss rats, and this weeks experience, watching vids, and reaquainting myself with them, has firmly caught me back up in my wonder, facination, and love of these brilliant little creatures.
I needed a place, upon suggestion of a rattery I'm in contact with, to come and kibitz with other rat lovers. And, need be, find another home for Nimh.
That is my story for now :)
Thank you for being here groupies. :)

Welcome! This is the place to be for support and great advice. We've had a few people raise wild rats.
Of course, we always recommend finding a wildlife refuge but taming wildlings is not impossible, it's simply not ideal. Getting him a buddy will be crucial in helping him socialize and learn how to be a pet rat.

The wild life refuge around here would just euth them/him. And that's not okay with me. So here I am lol. Yeah, Im already looking for a buddy that's as near his age as possible. In case I said 'she' in my introduction, I looked up on sexing them, and I believe I was wrong, but not entirely certain yet. Need another week or so.
If I can find him a buddy, then I'll either keep them, or rehome them together. My dearest wish is to keep them, however our circumstances changes drastically the same week I took them in, so it may not be possible.
So, as I said above, if I did. If anyone in the Lowr mainland of BC is willing to take Nimh and a buddy in for their lifetime, I'm covering my bases. If anyone knows of, or has, a litter near his age, please let me know. I'm not sur how I'm going to do this, hes just almost two weeks, and any others I find will likely be part of a litter. So far, more people who have bred their rats aren't willing to take a wild baby for fear of disease. However, any disease that would hurt any rat, would have killed pinkies by now.
So...this is my situation.
Thanks again for your support :)

Finding a mom and 2 week old litter would have been the best thing for the little guy. Too bad nobody breeding were willing to take him in.
We do have a section for adoption, you could post there as well.
Pictures might help us help you identify his gender.

Back