Hello! I'm looking to buy a rat.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike and Ashley

Hello,

My name is Mike and my girl friend is Ashley. I was wondering if anyone has a rat that free ranges in thier home and is potty trained? I just need some pointers cause I'm planning on getting a rat but not sure if its possible to have one more or less behaving like a cat. Eating out of a dish in the kitchen, pooping / peeing in a litter box etc. (I don't want a cat for those who are critical)

We have a newly built and furnished apartment. I don't want to ruin the whole place as you could imagine.. I'll probably have to start in a cage then slowly let him adapt to the whole place.

I'm just a beginner when it comes to rats but I like to master whatever I get into. I'm sure these forums are great for rats and I'll be looking into all the other areas of the forums as well. Diets, exercise, training etc.

Thanks for any info! :D

Hi Mike and Ashley!
It's great that you would like to give a rat a good home. First off, there are so many rats out there that need a home, you should consider rescuing/adopting a rat instead of buying one from a pet store.
Secondly, rats are very social creatures, and like to have another rat buddy or two, so I would encourage you to get more than one.(Same Sex!!!!)
Thirdly, rats are, well, rats. My rats are kept in a cage and let out for play time. They have still managed to chew up part of the baseboard and window trim. Other people's rats have climbed up and gotten into their drop ceiling, or into their walls. I would not recommmend having a free range rat as I don't think it's safe for them. But, that doesn't mean you can't have them out WITH you for the whole day...
Anyway, there is so much information out there to learn. This forum has lots of good information. Good luck!

Welcome to the Rat Shack.
Joanne gave you some great advice and I'd like to also recommend not doing the free range with rats. Supervised out time is much better and a cage as their home/habitat is safer for them. Rats are chewers... our electrical cords as well as your walls will get chewed.
Oh and definitely must get two same sex rats. They are a social animal and really need a buddy for a happy, healthy life.

Congrats on your desire to get some rats! Like others have said a rescue is the perfect place to find some and a pair or more is pretty necessary.

My girls may be an exception. They have a rat room that has been ratproofed. While we're awake and home the girls have the option of being in their cage or free ranging in their room. I started allowing them out for longer periods gradually as I didn't want to sacrifice their safety but I haven't ran into any problems. They mostly stay on the top of their cage in their bed unless I'm there with them.

Back