Hello from another Guelph rat lover

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prime654

Hello All,

Just wanted to say hi since I see that there are quite a few other members from Southern Ontario here. I am currently ratless, but owned 3 females previously and still find myself often thinking about them.

I am thinking of getting some new ratties, but I'm not in any rush. Besides brushing up on rat care, Im in a new city so don't have access to my old vet or familar with any reputable pet stores / breeders. If anyone can reccommend either a vet or breeder it would be appreciated.

Rescuing a rat is an option, but I am really hoping to have some choices when it comes to selecting my new companions, and ideally I would want them as pups as thats something I missed with my original ratties.

Hi and welcome!

There are quite a few rat owners in the Guelph area so I'm sure they could help you out. Also - there are lots of pups who need rescuing so I'm sure you won't have a hard time finding some cuties. Many of the members here travel between many cities in southern ontario so even if you find some babies you like in a different cities, I'm sure something can be arranged. After all, we got rats to Ontario from the Maritimes!!!

:welcome3: to the shack Prime

I dont know anything about breeders in the area, all my kids more or less happened upon me.

The one thing that I would recommend would be to please please dont go into Pet Paradise and get baby rats there. They mix the males and females, dont know much about caring for them, and take them away from their mothers too soon.

I have two pretty awesome 8week old foster boys im trying to find a home for :D - just thought id throw that out there :)

Cheers!

Hi and welcome to the Rat Shack. I am sure if you keep your eye open there will be some sweet little rat babies in your area looking for homes....

Also...thought that I should add that if you find babies and need help picking them up let me know, the two of us here have cars and im sure we could work something out :)

Cityratt said:
:welcome3: to the shack Prime

I dont know anything about breeders in the area, all my kids more or less happened upon me.

The one thing that I would recommend would be to please please dont go into Pet Paradise and get baby rats there. They mix the males and females, dont know much about caring for them, and take them away from their mothers too soon.

I have two pretty awesome 8week old foster boys im trying to find a home for :D - just thought id throw that out there :)

Cheers!

I've actually stopped by Pet Paradise the other day, but once I realized that they mixed genders in the same cage, I knew that store probably wasnt for me :p However they were cleaning up the cages when i got there and had the cage wide open, the clerk had her hand in there and they weren't skittish as all, which i found a little surprising.

And yes, I am following the thread about the 2 boys your fostering :)

Ohh ... since you seem to be in Guelph, can I ask what vet you use and if they deal with alot of rats? I'm thinking spaying or neutering is something I'll be wanting to do.

Hi and welcome Prime654!

It's so great to see more and more rat lovers lurking about out there. :joy:

As for reputable pet stores and breeders... those really don't exist in Canada. :giggle:
But you'll find tons and tons or ratties looking for good homes. From babies to adults, rexes and dumbos or the best kind the plain old hoodeds with the grandest characters. :nod:

Hope you stick around and share your rattie love with us. :joy:

mamarat said:
I find all rats beautiful but there are still some gems out there waiting for their forever homes.

I went and looked at a gorgeous litter of babies a few months ago....They were all dumbo rexes except one....hehehe guess which one I fell in love with. The little plain black berk.....oh he was sweet...what personality. It took all I had not to scoop him up.

:welcome2:

I'm sure that when you are ready, you will find some wonderful ratties to adopt.
Like others, I hope that you consider rescues - they come in all ages and you will know you are helping rats in need, not supporting horrible pet stores and rat mills.

Hello and :welcome:
Like everyone else I believe that when you are ready for your new babies you'll find the right ones for you.

Melissa

Back