Hello :) few questions and pics!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:balloons3: They will get used to their new home soon. I forgot to mention baby section at the dollar store has the baby rings used to hang things too..

qatudury.jpg
upu4eves.jpg
ubaguham.jpg
6u2aquhe.jpg
y6yzyzu5.jpg

The girls seem to be settling in pretty well. Taking food from our hands and exploring outside of the cage. They won't sit still for a moment and still jump at sudden movement.

The black one is Gabby and the little grey girl is Whiskey. Whiskey is the braver of the two.

They had greens for the first time, it was a mix of mustard as turnips. They nibbled. They have loved some pieces of pasta though!

It's so funny they use the hammock and plastic bin more than anything in the cage!

They are adorable - glad they are settling in. Did they like the mustard and turnip greens? Those two I have not given mine as I am after about the taste - mustard I am afraid would be too strong and turnip (since turnip are a bit "spicy - hot") I was afraid would be too hard on them.

So far they have eaten everything I put in their bowls. Their labs and treats disappear almost immediately. I do wonder how often I'm supposed to feed veggies and human foods? So far every day I've put a small amount of veggies in, and some nights I will give them some peas or pasta pieces.

It has already begun, the rat addiction. We have adopted this little guy. And now I'm looking around craigslist for a brother for him. He's got the sniffles so I hope it's just him adjusting and not a respiratory issue.

So this is Lucky
u4a8yqe6.jpg

Your girls sound like they are coming along. They can be pretty energetic so I'm not surprised to hear they don't sit still. :)
Are you going to get your boy(s) neutered? I have four girls and two boys who all live together in a DCN. The boys are neutered. When I rescued them, the boys cage used to be on top of the girls cage - just torture for them! They were SO happy when they finally got to join the girls and live in one big happy colony. :)

I haven't considered neutering. With a double CN locked off will it be a constant stress on them if they aren't? I will talk with my vet about pricing for it though. The boys are still pretty young though, at what age should they be neutered?

I'm going to try to post pictures tomorrow, and I'm sure this is a common worry. But my girls seems to have large bellies -gosh I hope they aren't pregnant. I am going to start weighing them daily. Hopefully they're just well fed since they eat so well. I assume the girls are two months old. But I can't guarantee they were separated from the males. The guy seemed to have it together but when I went there they brought my girls out with males in the same bin.

I may have found a friend for lucky. A fella on CL listed rats for adoptoon, he has some adults and a little 5 week old guy. He says he rescued him and another baby at 2weeks old and hand raised them.

I am picking up the new guy this Thursday. I am wondering if I should quarantine and for how long? Lucky does have the sneezes, but no fluids or wet lungs so I wonder if it's adjustment. Lucky is very skittish and I think he will come around quicker with a brave hand raised companion.

qadapure.jpg

This is the new cage I just picked up from CL. It is much bigger and better quality. Because it's larger, I'm going to spend the next two days decorating it and move the girls in it.

For the other cage I bought cookie racks and dish drying racks and will be building new racks and ditching the wooden ones.

I also bought some fleece and am attempting to sew hammocks, I am terrible at it haha.

It is a Prevue Hendryx Rat cage. It retails about $130 on amazon and I found it on CL for $70

So far my biggest complaint is that it doesn't open up like a CN...but the door is fairly large. The litter trey is somewhat small, but slides out for easy cleaning. It does come with a wire bottom which is easily removed so their little paws don't get hurt. All metal ramps though which I am definitely liking. And very roomy.

It is a Prevue Hendryx Rat cage. It retails about $130 on amazon and I found it on CL for $70

So far my biggest complaint is that it doesn't open up like a CN...but the door is fairly large. The litter trey is somewhat small, but slides out for easy cleaning. It does come with a wire bottom which is easily removed so their little paws don't get hurt. All metal ramps though which I am definitely liking. And very roomy.

You haven't tried to decor the rat manor through its tiny door - this cage looks GREAT!

I cannot imagine a door smaller than this...it is very difficult to put stuff on the back of the cage!! But cage decorating so far. Looking for something to make the pan sides bigger. They would make a mess if it stays like this.
hyra6eje.jpg

Back