Hello and a couple questions ^_^

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I did get to see the girls, but I'm not sure about adopting them. Sadly they are sneezing like crazy, but the SPCA does not have them checked out until the discharge becomes green. So I would have to adopt them, take them to the vet, and then find out then if they have chronic upper respiratory... I had a rat with that once and I don't really want to go through it again if I can choose not to. Its true that with out testing I don't really know, but I hate to bring them home and then have to possible take them back. The SPCA had said that if they did have it they could take them back but I hate to do that to them.

I also was able to speak with a person that has rats at home that may be looking for homes for them so I was thinking of seeing their rats as well.

The best feeling in the world is adopting ratties who really need it. Those poor girls sound stressed out, they could really use a home. Adopting doesn't mean adopting the perfect pet , to me it's adopting a pet who Isn't perfect.

Yes I do agree, but I cant afford to spay them and Im worried I wont be able to afford a lot of vet bills if they are really sick. If the spca would have checked them over first and told me the verdict and cost of their medication I could make a better judgment of whether I could give then the home and specialized care they need. Im worried about deciding to take them and not being able to keep my word...

Any rats can get sick. Even if in perfect health when you get them. So you need to have a good amount of money
Put away before actually getting them.

So maybe you should wait until then.

Rats are super sensitive and can become sick with any stressful situation. That's probably what's going on with them at the SPCA.

But I do understand you not wanting to adopt rats and spending $100 right off the bat for them. Maybe younger is better for you. But be sure to start saving up for bills. Rats are extremely costly with vet bills.

Humm ok that's good to know. Thanks for the information ^_^. Would you have a ball park of how much I should have saved up? $500 or more than that? I'm still thinking about the girls, they are quite sweet. I will have to look at my budget and see how much I can afford and go from there. I just got a hold of my vet and they quoted me $130 if its just a mild case.

Well a vet visit costs around $75. Meds range from $25 and above. Surgeries can cost a lot depending on what needs to be done. I always like to have $1000 put away. But $500 is a good start.

SOme rats have been trained to respond, some haven't, it really depends.

I highly discourage you from breeding anything. Any money you spend breeding, rehoming, feeding, cleaning, and caring for 15 new ratties greatly goes over what a spay would cost, not to mention as already said by others, you NEED to be ready to pay vet costs if the male hurts her, if she needs a c-section, or if anything else happens. If you cannot afford a spay, maybe you cannot afford a rattie. :(
When my Charlotte girl got very sick, within a day's notice, the vet bills were 700$. There was NO time to save up, NO time to borrow, nothing. BOOM, either you have it or not. Luckily, I did.

A vet visit with Lasalle is $90 + tax and then meds for one rat. But that's if the girls are really sick. They could just be reacting to the environment. It's not ideal at our SPCA.
$500 is a good start for a vet fund. You might not ever need it or in a year or two, if there are tumours, you'll need more. But you can save up along the way.

All 13 of my boys respond to their names and nicknames, although they may not come when called. They might choose to just look at me and run the other way... :laugh4: My boys were all healthy until the past few months when a respiratory infection came through, one got PT, and another kidney disease. So, since about June I'd say we have spend some where around 4K on vet bills - its probably more since we've had 4 neuters in there too and we're still spend around $200 + a week on the three w/lung abscesses/masses/infections. My boys need to get jobs..... I don't know what skills they have other than looking pretty darn cute :heart:

It's really great that you are asking questions and thinking about things before you actually get rats. :thumbup:
I personally hope that you get the two girls from the SPCA, as it sounds like they really need a forever home, but I can also understand wanting to get healthy rats from the start. It is so variable how much money you will spend over the course of the rat's life. It may be nothing, or it may be over a thousand dollars.
There are also many options for treating a rat. For example, one person may choose to have a tumor removed for $500, where another person may choose to let the tumor grow until the rat is having problems, and euthanize the rat for $50. As long as the animal's welfare is the top priority and they are not suffering, then either option is valid.
Good luck in your search for ratties to give a forever home to!
PS Absolutely adopt/rescue. I have had many rats, and none were purchase at the pet store. Every one of them needed a home and it is nice to know I provided it. :D

I might need to clarify, I am in NO way telling you not to get the SPCA girls - I was actually encouraging it. I was trying to point out that I got 14 healthy boys who months/year later got sick - so don't think that just because you pick "healthy" rats they will not cost you money in vet bills or develop an illiness. The one rat I did get that was sick has cost me the least once he got antibiotics to clear up his respiratory infection - he is happy and healthy now. All mine are rescues...

Don't breed her because i think it only takes 2 months before the babies are born and then they'll have more because my mom said that they are to busy trying to keep their breed alive

Back