Head Tilt So Bad She Rolls

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldsGal

Hey all I took in a pair of girls just a few days ago who are in sad shape. The girl surrendered them because she was moving and the new landlord said no way. The girl was heartbroken and claimed these girls were her everything blah blah blah.

So I get them and the black berk is more of a rust berk and had clumps of fur missing. It isn't mites it is frome poor diet and poor cage cleaning.

The masked mink has a head tilt so bad she is looking at me upside down in her cage. I looked at the girl who says to me....I just put them in their travel cage last night and she just started doing that. BS....You don't get a head tilt like that over night.

So in any event I get them home to examin them better and the poor head tilt girl is so bad that when you set her down she rolls several times trying to get her footing and figure out what is up or down. I took her immediately to the vet who started her on a high dose of Baytril. .1cc 2xs a day of I believe it was 10% concentrate...I don't have the bottle in front of me now. It has been a couple of days and she does seem to be showing a tiny bit of improvement.

What do you all think. Baytril enough? Need Doxy? Some other med? Will she ever heal? Will the poor baby's head tilt improve at least a little. I have never seen one this bad before.

Staci

I definitely think baytril will not be enough, but I guess it's possible. I had a rat come in with a wicked head tilt and he got chlor palm orally 3 x's a day with injected gentocin once a day I believe (will have to confirm). He rallied within a few weeks and fully recovered! So it's definitely possible your new girl can recover, she just needs the right meds.

Back