hazel - facial lump - options?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitch

we have been busy getting ready to move so i will admit that rat out time and quality time has been limited so i don't really know when the face lump started, but yesterday i had everyone out and saw it on Hazel's face under her good eye. she doesn't want to chew because of it and has been foofed up over it. her breathing is fine and her color is good so the foofiness is definitely related to the face lump. she's been eating baby cereal mixed with ensure and baby food. it feels like a hard marble under her eye and wrapping around her chin. she's been in the geri cage as a nurse so i doubt she's gotten bit or anything, but then again she could have gotten scratched inadvertently... so i think the possibilities include: tumor, abscess or tooth issue. she has an appointment to see the vet tomorrow. the thing is, how do you anthesitise to work on the face of a rat. the mask that they use, their whole head, right to the their shoulders goes in. it would seem that some operation will need to be done regardless of what it is right? i mean face abscess are really dangerous, a tumor of course is a tumor and if she has a cavity (though i think that is highly unlikely) she'll need the tooth removed. i doubt my vet is equipped to do it. i know there is a vet in fredericton that SQ and godmother uses that should be able to handle something like this, does anyone have a name or contact info on that vet? does anyone have any other possibilities as to what it is to suggest or alternative treatment to try over surgery? maybe we can knock her out with the gas then lance it before she wakes up? but what if when we cut it open it proves to be a tumor? have we then signed her death or could it heal and reduce it chemically? or being a facial tumor that is already affecting her enough to not want to eat should i just let her go then once we know? what makes a face swell when you have a bad tooth? is it abscessed? would we just drain the abscess and watch to see if it recurrs or if there is still pain after its emptied?

Get your vet to give her a whiff of gas...look in her mouth while she's under and do an FNA (fine needle aspiration) to determine tumor or abscess.

Also can you smell the lump on the outside and her mouth for foul smell? Even through the skin you may smell that smell. :sick2:

she sniffed up my nose last night and i definitely got a whiff of something foul. not too strong but it was there. its why i thought it might be a tooth issue. i didn't know you would be able to smell an abscess through the skin.

twitch said:
she sniffed up my nose last night and i definitely got a whiff of something foul. not too strong but it was there. its why i thought it might be a tooth issue. i didn't know you would be able to smell an abscess through the skin.

It depends on how close to the surface it is. And hers sounds close.

well the stink is a bit of a relief then. it should mean that its not a tumor. i mean its an odd place for a tumor to show anyway but its not unheard of... but stink is good!

Back