Having serious issues giving meds to my boy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

My boy Lyric won't take his meds. Yesterday when I started him on the meds, he ate the baytril normally but now he won't touch it. I've tried mixing it with chocolate milk mix...didn't work. I tried some yogert...that didn't work. Then I tried some strawberry quick. That didn't work so I mixed it with some milk to dilute the syrup and that still didn't work. I have no idea what to do now. Any suggestions?

Btw, He's in the same room as my girls...could that have anything to do with it? He seems very restless.

You can try squirting it i his mouth in the least stressful way possible. I don't bother mixing my meds in anything anymore, I just quickly scoop them up and stick the syringe in their cheek and squirt it in.

If the baytril is not the good tasting, oral kind, I would suggest sweetening it first.
We have the injectable baytril here which we give orally. It is so foul that it has to be sweetened and hidden in things.

SQ said:
If the baytril is not the good tasting, oral kind, I would suggest sweetening it first.
We have the injectable baytril here which we give orally. It is so foul that it has to be sweetened and hidden in things.

the meds are from Dr. Munn so I am sure they are banana flavoured :)

Yep banana flavoured as always. I have showed bruxxy how to med her rats, and we took care of Lyric's abscess. Its an ugly one, and he's a struggling squaller. Poor boy was biting the towel in my lap and tried for my hands a couple of times...

Its a nasty abscess but the worst is over and bruxxy is going to flush it 3 times a day if she can, and it should heal okay we hope. :)

Good veggie stew Laura!! ;)

Poor sweetie. Those are so nasty for hoomins and ratties.

I know how the poor rat feels. When I was younger, all our meds were banana flavour and each time I thought I would throw up. Not pleasant.

I have bad memories of banana flavoured medicine for my ear infections. Disgusting.

I had strawberry flavoured once, and that I could handle... it was a glimmer of hope that I never saw again. It was always banana afterwards.

lilspaz68 said:
Yep banana flavoured as always. I have showed bruxxy how to med her rats, and we took care of Lyric's abscess. Its an ugly one, and he's a struggling squaller. Poor boy was biting the towel in my lap and tried for my hands a couple of times...

Its a nasty abscess but the worst is over and bruxxy is going to flush it 3 times a day if she can, and it should heal okay we hope. :)

Good veggie stew Laura!! ;)

LOL!!! A struggling squaller??? LMAO!!!! :laugh4:

The POOR little rat man!!!

How rude and obnoxious to be sandwiched in a towel and forced to eat gag banana out of a syringe!!! ... the injustice of it all! :scolding:

I hope he got a fuzzy head smoooooooooooooch for his pains. :love6:

Back