Harlan Tekland Servings

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peace

Hooray! My Harlan Tekland order of 2014 and 2018 is on its way. This will be my first time giving my rats Harlan Tekland, so I'm not sure of the amount I should give them. My adult rat will be eating the 2014, and in August, I will be bringing two young rats home who will be eating the 2018. Anyways, how many lab blocks would you suggest giving each of them? I am trying to avoid giving them too much or too little, so how much do you give your rats each day? Thanks for the help!

With blocks, you really can't go wrong so I would give them unlimited.
It's wonderful you've decided to give your ratties healthy rat blocks. :joy:

I just give my rattakisses a full bowl when ever needed. This is VERY good food so I wouldn't worry about overfeeding. Be prepared for the poop to be the same colour as the food going in!! :giggle: I wasn't and it kinda threw me :lol:

I give unlimited as well. If they horde I break up the horde and put it back in their bowl every day. My rats LOVE this food.

I'm glad you asked this! I was wondering myself...

You see, now that I removed Brie and Elphie and sent them up north together (for better medication since I'm there most of the time), the young trio in Toronto have really fattened up. For the babies this is great because they were what I believe would be malnourished. But Phoe was a good weight if not a little lean. Now she's looking a little pudgy. It's difficult balancing the different hunger levels. : /

Hi all,

I am wondering the same thing. The answer is freefeed? Do you ever find that your ratties overfeed this way, or is the food so good that don't overstuff themselves?

I just picked up a 10 lbs. bag of the 2014 at the University of Guelph today. That is very exciting that they have it!

Thanks for the clarification!
Ryder

Free feeding rats lab blocks is important as they eat a bit throughout the day, evening and overnight.
When my rats get too chubby, it means I need to cut back on the veg serving size I am giving or on treats. Although I have had a couple of rats that became very overweight due to a medical problem.

When I had a smaller crew, I gave my rats two harlan blocks a day. But I gave them free feeding of the Oxbow cause they won't over eat with Oxbow. I do have some rats that over eat with Harlan but because I have a big colony, I don't want to "miss" anyone so now they are fee feeding. So far, I only have one little or should I say big guy that is enjoying his HT way too much.

Back