• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Rat Shack and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Hammocks for Cere!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crumbilina

What a week it has been!

Along with a lot of other family issues going on, I got to experience my very first Prolapsed uterus! Woohoo!

On Sunday night when I returned home from spending about 28 hours at my parents place, I found Cere with a prolapsed uterus. I was surprised, if you didn't see the uterine horn hanging out of her, you wouldn't have thought that there was anything wrong with her! She acted normally, exhibiting very few signs of pain. In the time from when I discovered it on Sunday night to the time of her spay on Tuesday morning, I saw a total of 1 owie stretch and only moderately puffy fur. Just goes to show you how much pain they can handle without showing signs!

Anyway, I have pictures of the prolapse that I will only post if people will like to see it. I had her in to the vet immediately on Monday morning. My vet tried his hardest to get her in on Monday for the spay but was unable to rearrange things, and so she was scheduled for a spay first thing on Tuesday morning. Unfortunately this unexpected $500+ expense has completely drained my vet fund. As a result, I am making some hammocks to sell!

First I wanted to find out if people preferred premade hammocks, or if custom hammocks were better. Also, are people interested in liners? I still am going through my fabrics to make some nice matches but here are 2 matches that I have already made.

If you are interested either respond on this thread or shoot me a PM. I don't have specific prices for each product since I usually just do hammocks for fun rather then selling them. We can discuss based on what you would like.

Included in the attachment pictures is the little girlie who had the spay, lovely Cere who is now feeling a whole lot better!!!

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2876.jpg

adorable prints! I've traded hammocks with crumbilina and they were very well made and well loved by my ratties. <3
here are some photos of my guys enjoying some of her hammocks
Rocko RIP in the first two, I don't know what that hammock is called but it was a HUGE hit with my guys

and the last photo is Dre on the hammock he loved best. also don't know what that is called but it's both of these styles end up being not just a great place for the rats to sleep but also a great place to play, as there are different levels to climb thru and hide in etc.

013.jpg

016.jpg

014.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to need some for Kalila when she heals from her surgery :). I've got tons but my ferrets use them and no matter how well I wash them the ferret smell doesn't come out.

I'm not sure how many though. She [and a future cage mate] lives in a ferret nation. I'm not sure how many hammocks rats like in their cage?

Cere is beautiful. :love7: So glad that she is feeling better now.

Liners! I always need more, especially now that I have so many unexpected extra rats. I love both of your solid/pattern combos. Could you make enough for a quad CN?

I'm going to need some for Kalila when she heals from her surgery :). I've got tons but my ferrets use them and no matter how well I wash them the ferret smell doesn't come out.

I'm not sure how many though. She [and a future cage mate] lives in a ferret nation. I'm not sure how many hammocks rats like in their cage?

It depends on how you decorate. Personally, I use just one hammock in a single unit critter nation, and 2 in a double critter nation. The type of hammock depends on how many rats are in the cage. For a heavily populated cage or a cage with rats who like to sleep on their own I use triple bunks (my favourite hammock) and in a lighter populated cage, I use double bunks. I can make a large variety of hammocks, but for some reason those are the 2 main ones I use. In addition to hammocks, I use sputniks and various other hides. If I didn't have so much other stuff in the cages, and if laundry didn't cost so much to do here, I would probably use more hammocks.

Can you make liners for rat manor? DCN? I'm in need of liners for DCN bottom large pan and small pans at this time...

Im not 100% sure what a rat manor is but I'm sure that I can if you were to give me the dimensions. I made liners for my R-690 and all I did was measure the cage and sew. They turned out great!
What kind of liners would you want for your DCN? I have never made the fitted sheet kind, I usually just make it like a giant flat - I have found, in my house, they are not destroyed as fast. Sometimes I add a flap that I fold around the bars and binder clip to the bar and that helps hold it in place. This won't work for the shelf liners though. I'd have to think about that one. Do you have the new or old style shelfs?

Cere is beautiful. :love7: So glad that she is feeling better now.

Liners! I always need more, especially now that I have so many unexpected extra rats. I love both of your solid/pattern combos. Could you make enough for a quad CN?

Cere is pretty isnt she? I'm glad she is feeling better too, it was an intense couple of days!

Regarding your liners: What kind of liners do you prefer? And what kind of shelves do you have in your cages? Were you looking for just the pan liners or also shelf liners?
Unfortunately, I don't think I will have enough of that specific fabric to do shelf and pan liners for a quad CN. Hammocks, yes, but the liners, no. Let me see what I could throw together for a quad CN. If I look hard enough maybe I can find some prints that complement each other :)

Thanks for your interest guys! I really appreciate it!

I have found that my 4 rats like to have at least 2 but prefer 3 hammocks to choose from in a single CN. The girls and the younger rats will use hammocks as toys, not just to sleep in. Younger rats tend to use certain hammocks that older rats rarely use, like tubes.
It's good to have two sets of hammocks so you can have some to put in when you're washing one set.

Any pics of what the shelf liners for old style CNs look like?
Wondering which style of corners you use

This will be something I will need to figure out on the fly. What I am thinking of doing is using a tab to wrap around the bars of the cage on one side to binder clip in place and on the other side using a pocket of fabric to slip onto the shelf, if that makes sense... I will need to think about it a bit more. I honestly thought there would be more interest in hammocks rather then liners. This is a surprise to me!
For the liners in my cages, all I do is sew a flat hammock the size of the shelf and quilt the hammock, then tack it down using binder clips on all 4 sides. I am just not sure if this would be acceptable to others. It works well for me.

I also found this fabric. Paired with a nice light, bright green or blue (bringing out the colour of the green stars and the blue clouds) it would look awesome.

Godmother: I believe I would have enough of this fabric to do liners for a quad, depending on the type of liner you would like :)

IMG_3395.jpg

I like odd shaped hammocks too if you can do that - something different. Corner hammocks - how about that? I'm pretty good at making the basics or stuff I don't have to spend a lot of time on. Me and my machine tend to argue and my light bulb just burned out - the one that's not suppose to burn out for 100,000 hours - that one...:!??!??!: Now I have to send it to the sewing machine hospital (Yes, that is what it is called here).... Nothing ever goes right in this house...

I don't need patterned fabric for the liners, so if you had enough solid fleece for the pans of a quad CN, then the hammocks could be in the patterned fabric. I love either the red or the purple combo. The way you describe the pan liners would work for me, although I doubt I'd use binder clips. I'd just let them lie flat. I could take photos of another style of pan liner that works well; the corners are shaped into little pockets for the pan corners to tuck into. That keeps the fabric fairly taut and tends to stop burrowing. I have the old style shelves.

I can explain the interest in liners. The two people who made the most liners were Violet976, (whose RatStash business expanded to doing huge sewing jobs for stores who sell to guinea pig owners, so that she doesn't have time to do liners and hammocks any more) and MomRat, who decided not to do custom liners any more.

I've been at a loss without those two talented ladies. I'd always hoped that Kat down in Atlanta would come back to doing liners, but it sounds like a burnout kind of job!

Last edited:
I like odd shaped hammocks too if you can do that - something different. Corner hammocks - how about that? I'm pretty good at making the basics or stuff I don't have to spend a lot of time on. Me and my machine tend to argue and my light bulb just burned out - the one that's not suppose to burn out for 100,000 hours - that one...:!??!??!: Now I have to send it to the sewing machine hospital (Yes, that is what it is called here).... Nothing ever goes right in this house...

I had my machine in at the repair shop too. I love that yours is called a sewing machine hospital. Mine was the sewing machine doctor. They are such odd stores.

I can make you corner hammocks for sure! Do you like the ones that have a pocket? Althea made a few for me a while back.
This is Yoshi in one, see how it kind of wraps around them. Her face would be at the corner of the cage in this picture. I wish I had a better photo... I can just make one and show you.

Did you still want some liners? Send me a PM with what you would like. Unless you would like me to get sewing some hammocks and surprise you with some of my favourites to make. The blue snowflake hammock from Petunia's pictures is one of my favourites to make, with the 2 tunnels and the passthrough in the middle between the tunnels. My rats adored those hammocks.

I don't need patterned fabric for the liners, so if you had enough solid fleece for the pans of a quad CN, then the hammocks could be in the patterned fabric. I love either the red or the purple combo. The way you describe the pan liners would work for me, although I doubt I'd use binder clips. I'd just let them lie flat. I could take photos of another style of pan liner that works well; the corners are shaped into little pockets for the pan corners to tuck into. That keeps the fabric fairly taut and tends to stop burrowing. I have the old style shelves.

I can explain the interest in liners. The two people who made the most liners were Violet976, (whose RatStash business expanded to doing huge sewing jobs for stores who sell to guinea pig owners, so that she doesn't have time to do liners and hammocks any more) and MomRat, who decided not to do custom liners any more.

I've been at a loss without those two talented ladies. I'd always hoped that Kat down in Atlanta would come back to doing liners, but it sounds like a burnout kind of job!

Let me see what I can plan out for you. I would love to design a full cage with hammocks and all. Actually a fellow rat/sewing/hammock enthusiast will be visiting tomorrow. I bet we could come up with something awesome! I'll let you know what ideas we come up with and take pics of the fabric. Then if you like it, we can go with it. If you don't like it, I can always use the design for others :)

The blue snowflake hammock from Petunia's pictures is one of my favourites to make, with the 2 tunnels and the passthrough in the middle between the tunnels. My rats adored those hammocks.

do you have too much work already or can I get a couple of these hammocks, the tunnels with the pass thru, my guys LOVE those too and the last one I made for them came out too small and no one would use it
I'd love the owl print fabric you show in your first post, and if you need a deposit let me know ok?

what is/are your other favorites to make? my guys need something besides bunk beds, lol those are the ones i make the most often.

do you have too much work already or can I get a couple of these hammocks, the tunnels with the pass thru, my guys LOVE those too and the last one I made for them came out too small and no one would use it
I'd love the owl print fabric you show in your first post, and if you need a deposit let me know ok?

what is/are your other favorites to make? my guys need something besides bunk beds, lol those are the ones i make the most often.

For sure!!! I love making the one that was Dre's favourite as well. The kind of pocket double decker. Those 2 are my favourites to make. I will email you to discuss. I also have foam blocks still waiting to be sent to you! I keep forgetting! I could send them at the same time as your hammocks.

Let me see what I can plan out for you. I would love to design a full cage with hammocks and all. Actually a fellow rat/sewing/hammock enthusiast will be visiting tomorrow. I bet we could come up with something awesome! I'll let you know what ideas we come up with and take pics of the fabric. Then if you like it, we can go with it. If you don't like it, I can always use the design for others :)

Sounds wonderful! Thanks so much.

Hi! I'd love to buy some pre-mades. My rats aren't picky at all. They really liked the peek-a-boo flat hammocks (the ones with just the hole on top to go inside). I'd be really happy with two of those; fabric design doesn't matter to me at all. How do we go about ordering them?

Back