Hammock Clips, putting male rats together, & fleece!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virgo2882

Just wondering where you can purchase the clips to make your own hammocks and what not?
For the people who use fleece as a bedding source, how often do you change it, and is it easier than usual carefresh bedding? I really like this idea, as it seems so much easier to change a blanket then a whole pile of bedding.
Also I have had a male rat i adopted about 6 months ago, he was all alone, and since I had girls I kept him on the top of level of my 3 level FN cage.
I know he is about a year old, and he is a biter, but only because I think he was mishandled. I want to get him a buddy but I was told that adult male rats are hard to introduce new rats too.... is this true? I hate him being alone, and I can only spoil him so much.....
Thanks for the help!

I use only fleece bedding and have litter pans with Yesterday's News it in. It really helps with odor control.
I love using fleece, I change them out every 2 to 3 days, take it out and add new stuff. Once washed, it takes only 15 minutes to dry.

Have you considered having your male neutered? It will definitely help with the biting and then he can go live with the girls.
If that's not an option, then you could try adding a younger male, but you'll need lots of patience and slow intros. Unless he's ready for a buddy in which case, intros go smooth and fast. It can go either way. But you are right that he's a lonely little guy when he's got no buddy.
Another thing to keep in mind, being in close proximity to intact girls, he may be hormonal a lot which can make intros hard, another reason why a neuter would be beneficial for him.

jorats said:
I use only fleece bedding and have litter pans with Yesterday's News it in. It really helps with odor control.
I love using fleece, I change them out every 2 to 3 days, take it out and add new stuff. Once washed, it takes only 15 minutes to dry.

Have you considered having your male neutered? It will definitely help with the biting and then he can go live with the girls.
If that's not an option, then you could try adding a younger male, but you'll need lots of patience and slow intros. Unless he's ready for a buddy in which case, intros go smooth and fast. It can go either way. But you are right that he's a lonely little guy when he's got no buddy.
Another thing to keep in mind, being in close proximity to intact girls, he may be hormonal a lot which can make intros hard, another reason why a neuter would be beneficial for him.

I use fleece and litter pans with Yn just like Jo. I change my fleece and litter every other day. I have 10 girls so by the third day they are pretty dirty.

I agree you could get him neutered and intro him to the girls.

Thanks!
Well I have never neutered a rat before. What should I look for in a good vet .... how much do they usually cost??
I am thinking about having it done, as I would love for him to have friends!!!!
Also I heard they can go through the scrotum or through the stomach....as the scrotum seems to be more painful......any thoughts about that????

Thanks for your help guys!

You want to look for an Exotic vet. I would take the surgery prospect in for a visit and see how the vet handles him ask them how many surgeries have they done and what is his procedure for a rat neuter, what kind of after care needs to be given, ask if the rat needs to fast before surgery (rats do not throw up so the answer should be no) ask what the price is and if you needed to bring in all of you rats at once would you pay an office visit for each rat if so how much per rat. I think it is a complete rip off if they charge $45.00 per rat 3 rats X $45.00 is $135.00 and that is ridiculous.

Also where are you located?

I only pay $50.00 for a neuter but he is not an exotic vet. All of the exotics around here want $250.00 and up for a neuter.

When you call around, you'll get a feeling right from the person answering the phone if they know rats or not.
My vet charges $160 but she's a wonderful exotic vet and worth every penny.
She doesn't go through the stomach. And none of my males have never showed any signs of pain after a neuter, in fact, they are ready to jump back into the colony cage.

Back