Guys i need your help! PLEASE

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexandraBoo

I need some really good reasons why boo should have a cagemate! My mom just doesnt get it!!! I need to read some stuff aloud to her to make her realize boo is not happy! She needs to really consider this! It is not fair to boo! Please guys help me out! :cry:

Rats are social animals and can only thrive when in a colony. A single rat can become depressed and stressed which can be detrimental to their health.
A rat with a buddy will be a much happier rat. They need companionship for grooming, playing, communicating and even setting a hierarchy.
Rats do indeed communicate with each other and this is observed when you have more than one rat.
Without a doubt a pair of rats will be more mentally stable, healthy and secure in their life and so be happier with their humans.

A lone rat needs way more attention then if it had a friend.
A lone rat can become very depressed without a friend.
A lone rat will be socially better with a friend.
They can play and interact with each other.
Since rats are nocturnal it will give them someone to play with while you are sleeping instead of doing nothing.

Might that help.

Also my stepbrother first had one rat and he was awesome. But now that he has two he sees the difference in the rats. They are much happier.

To tell you the truth, I believe it is extremely cruel to keep a rat alone. Think of it as being put in solitary confinement with no communication for the rest of his life.

I understand your mom has allergies, but if she's not all that bad with Boo, she won't be that bad with a second rat. Honestly, allergies are usually affected if you are around the rats, touching the rats. If they are kept in a separate room then it really won't affect the person.

Well, how would she like it if you put her into a room, alone, for the rest of her life? with now and then an monkey who feeds her and clean the room and give her some attention...

Its a group animal so it needs at least 1 other rat to do rattie things with.
That should be reason enough.

AlexandraBoo said:
I need some really good reasons why boo should have a cagemate! My mom just doesnt get it!!! I need to read some stuff aloud to her to make her realize boo is not happy! She needs to really consider this! It is not fair to boo! Please guys help me out! :cry:

I had a single female rat as a girl and never thought anything of it until my stepfather explained to me and my mom that keeping Tara alone was not good. Like with you, we also had to take into consideration the fact that my mother was, not only, a severe asthmatic but also allergic to the rat we already had.

We ended up getting a cage mate for Tara. I kept them in my room and mom never had any health problems.

You need to be gentle with your mother Alexandra, if you are not being so already. Allergies are a bad thing to have to deal with. I have them so I know where your mom must be coming from. You need to commit to the reality that you will be responsible for keeping the cage clean (i.e. washing it down with hot water with dish soap and vinegar and changing the bedding at least once a week.) My mom was hard to win over and it took alot of gentle persuasion. Make it clear to your mother that her health is important to you and Boo's well being is also important.

If Boo gets sick as a result of depression; more money will, most likely, be spent on vet bills than a little companion would ever cost.

These were some of the reasons I remember giving my mother and after considering everything (including my sworn promise to diligently keep on top of cage hygiene) my mother consented. :)

It was a struggle Alexandra... I fully sympathize with both sides of the situation. :rose: :love6:

By the way, is Boo male or female?

Back