Guess who I have? Hippo Pictures!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopefloats

Not active.
Hippo....... Her momma went out of town for the weekend so I am rat sitting her and her 3 cagemates for the weekend. Hopefully I can get pictures posted tomorrow! She gets along really well. She still walks better and looks more normal than the rest. Still so small she is bigger than my Turtle but smaller than my willow. So cute still. They must remember me they were all happy and doing good playing with my hands.

1240107_10151629736641409_392702938_n.jpg

1208824_10151629736626409_853268986_n.jpg

1231609_10151629736506409_2091968707_n.jpg

The girls are enjoying some playtime in the playpen right now. They were happy as can be running around and so on. It is so cute.

Some rats get wheelie tail from running in the wheel. Hippo's wheelie tail is just amazing because she does this to keep her balance so she can walk upright. She totally adapted her little tail to keep her balance. I am just so impressed with how she gets along Shannan has done well with her because she is a very healthy girl.

Hippo is bigger than turtle but smaller than willow her other handicap sisters. All 4 of the girls are so sweet. Even the mean little pew girl Sheeva. Will get better pictures later.

I'm just curious, it seems I've missed a lot the few months I was inactive here, but were hippo and her sisters in a litter you raised? and were they all handicapped? what happened to them, if you don't mind me asking.

but she's a beautiful girl, I love her coat! And it's great that she's adapted, so she can live as normally as possible.. rats are such amazing creatures

KatTheHippie said:
I'm just curious, it seems I've missed a lot the few months I was inactive here, but were hippo and her sisters in a litter you raised? and were they all handicapped? what happened to them, if you don't mind me asking.

but she's a beautiful girl, I love her coat! And it's great that she's adapted, so she can live as normally as possible.. rats are such amazing creatures

I was contacted in December I was contacted about a momma with 7 babies and 3 boys. When I got there I found out that the 3 boys were actually 2 girls and one boy. Both the other mommas had babies within a week of me picking them up. Shortly after they opened their eyes we noticed they were different. They didnt walk like the other babies. The first litter had 4 handicap rats, the 2nd litter who isnt directly related to the daddy had all normal babies, the 3rd litter had 5 handicap rats, one died within a week, one died at 3 weeks and the other 3 stayed so small I didnt think they would make it. I had the 6 I kept here spayed and neutered. I have 3 girls and 3 boys. They live here in an large rabbit cage. I had xrays done and they should be on that link below. it appears their spines are curved so they cannot walk right. their back legs move together rather than independantly. It was a strange road with these babies and their outcome was uncertain but they are now 8 months old and a total joy to have around. They are so damn sweet..

my 3 turtle, hopper and lily stayed half the size of the other rats in their litter for a long time. later i will post the links to their baby pictures because it is really an amazing thing to see how they started and how far they come.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32563&hilit=roly+poly

oh, wow.. after reading that thread, what lucky babies to be born around someone who will actually take the time and effort to deal with the condition. I'm glad they all seem to be doing so well though, despite their handicaps. Lucky little guys.. and also mascots as to why breeding is a horrible idea.

Back