growing tumours : what to expect?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisK

We decided not to have Skittles' tumours removed because more of them kept popping up on her body, and only weeks after her surgeries. So now she's got four tumours, two are quite large, and she's getting along well in spite of them so far. (All her tumors are mammary as far as we know.) But I know she's over 30months old now, and don't know how long she will have with us.

One thing that's of concern for me, as I prepare for what is to come, is that I am not sure what to expect as her lumps continue to grow. I am aware that I should watch her bathroom habits, as one tumour presses on her privates, so it's important to watch that she's pooping and peeing daily. And I'm assuming there could be other complications as tumours begin to press on her organs.

But I've also heard somewhere that all tumours can burst when they grow large -- is that true? And if so, if/when that happens, would that be the time to pts ?

Are there other things I should be aware of/looking for? What typically is the kind of thing that happens in such cases?

I don't think she's in any pain or suffering at this point, although it's clear that the tumours have slowed her movement down some -- i.e. she isn't running, kinda drags a bit when she walks, etc. She's learning to compensate for the lumps mostly. But otherwise is a very healthy and happy girl. Energetic, interactive, affectionate, and loves to eat.

I think all tumours are different in how they turn out in each case. I've never had a tumour burst but I've read how some people did. My Vincent had a tumour bigger than he was, it never burst, just kept stretching the skin. It did sometimes look a bit raw but polysporin helped with that.
I've heard of rats living quite some times with their appendages and they didn't seem to mind it much. I think it bothers us more than them to be honest.
The one I would be worried about is the one near her genitals. Signs of pain is what to look for, zoning out, squinty eyes, loss of appetite, change in defecation...

Back