Got 2 new babies!! for novo!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clairebee1

So we went out to our petstore which i got my toto and novo from and see these TINY little babies they where 8 weeks old and WOW how friendly they where so yes i had to have them LOL!

So i brought them home into my spare cage with small bars LOL and they are fine tho a few sneezes and coughs don;t know if its anything serious but we arnt letting novo run around with them until i see if their sneezes and coughs go away!
So i showed novo them like holded one of the babies and GOSH he got so excited he wanted to grab them LOL he started bruxing and grooming one of them so hopefully thats good!

They are browny black hooded boys they are GORGEOUS!!!
One is very shy and squeeks when you lift him or move your hand over him but he should come round!!

Is sneezing and coughing normal or should i watch them very closely ?

I would take them to the vet. You dont know if they have the beginnings of a resp infection and you dont need your current rat getting sick. Although since you let him near the newbies, I suppose it doesnt matter.

Better safe than sorry, have the babies looked over by a vet.

Congratulations on your new rats.
Looking forward to lots of pics.

I don`t know where you live (country, prov or state) as you didn`t fill out that section
but in the future it is a good idea to always do a full or partial quarantine whenever getting new rats.

CongRATS!! on the new rats!

It could very well be just the new home sneezes but if it persists I'd get it checked.
If you think it could be something worse, don't let novo near them until you know that the new boys are healthy. Respiratory infections are very contagious.

Resp infections are passed through the air, and a rat sneeze can travel up to 100ft or more if given aid like blowing air from a fan or a/c. So if they have something contagious, Novo's already been exposed to it so there's really absolutely no sense in worrying about it.

New Home Sneezes are very common, especially from pet store rats. I don't know what sort of "coughing" you mean, but I've never experienced that with a simple case of NHS. If the sneezing continues for more than 3 days, or you notice it getting worse or any other symptoms, take them to the vet immediately for treatment.

Back