Good Bye Riley Feb 1996 - May 2008

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

My sweet Riley has been pts. We got him when I was 17 from the local OSPCA when he was 8 months old. My mom put a lot of effort into him obedience training and boy did it pay off. I called him off while he was chasing a porcupine. He was such an awesome dog and I have so many memories. He was black and white and we figure a springer spaniel, border collie mix. He was very mild tempered, mellow but loved it when you came home. He always made you feel really special when you came in the door. It was funny because he had different greetings for different people. Family was the best greeting. People he considered very close to family which included my best friend, our neighbor and a few of my stepfathers friends and my fiance. The next step down was just friends. And then there were the people he didn't like as much. Each level of friends got a different level of greeting. The closer to family you were, the better it was.
He started to get sick last year. When my parents went on holidays they had to take him to an emerg vet he was having troubles eating and diahrria. They had found a heart murmer a while ago, but later they found more problems. Since then, he started to lose weight, he was put on heart meds. By the end I am thankful that he had curly fur because I could feel the bones when you pet him and it just got worse and worse. A few weeks ago he still had light in his eyes, last Sunday I noticed it wasn't there anymore. He was barely eating, my mom had to shove the pills down his throat. He wouldn't go near her and it broke her heart. This Wednesday past he was very shaky. So on Thursday they made the decision to put him to rest. I was ready for this, I knew it was going to happen and I know he did to.

He is probably one of the best dogs we have ever owned. I will miss him so much. But he had an amazing life and that's what I will remember.

Goodbye my love, run free and happy now.

RileyDeckerOct2007003Small.jpg

What a gorgeous boy, I feel your pain for I'm experiencing a similar loss of my own Border Collie mix. Our two boys can run free at the bridge, Riley will be there waiting for Lucky tomorrow I'm sure... :hugs:

Back